Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

David Pollack: 'no concern' with Georgia football offense, but defensively ....

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited June 2019 in Article commenting

imageDavid Pollack: 'no concern' with Georgia football offense, but defensively ....

Georgia football legend David Pollack shot straight when asked what he expects from the Bulldogs' offense and defense in 2019

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Huh.... ya know I actually disagree with Mr. Pollack. I think our defense has a chance to be the strength of the team. It starts with that secondary. I saw some dudes back there in the g day game, and more than 4 of em too. LB's need to stay healthy, especially Monty Rice. The DL is where it kind of hinges on being good or great.

I have some concerns about our offense. Of course the o line is fantastic and you can pretty much work with that. But I'm concerned with WR, RB depth, and QB depth.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting to think about why this is. Kirby is a defensive guy but it's looking like his offense will be better than his defense this year. It could be argued that was the case last year as well.

Not to be one dimensional about the matter but offensive line recruitment has been out of this world. Assuming everything begins in the trenches, and recognizing that an excellent line makes everyone else look better, it's easy to see why the offense is looking like it might be very very capable.

What about recruitment on the defensive line? Nobody is saying ours has been world class. It seems obvious lagging defensive line recruitment is holding the team back. What's going on and why? You know Kirby is aware.

Not to criticize the Great Wall of Georgia, but the Great Wall of China was defensive. We need to be building two great walls.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Despite losing Baker, I think you'll definitely see the defense take a step forward this year. Ton of talent at DB, Eric Stokes is poised to be an outstanding player. Linebacking corp is going to be nasty and as long as we stay healthy, we should have good quality depth along the D-line as well.

Agree that offense is setting the pace but overall, we should be a notch or two improved from 2018.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

The defense WILL be better this year. Purely from the point of being more aggressive. And the speed is there.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

The defense will be fine and will only get better. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    juneaudawgjuneaudawg Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman
    If the OL is a strength, and possibly the best in the nation, wouldn't that make the DL better because of having to practice against them?
    Who is going to be tougher than the guys they see day in and day out.
    Plus, now that we don't have to play the scheme blocking of GT, i think we will be just fine.
    For the record, the inner Munson still tells me to be careful.
  • Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

D-line recruiting needs to improve. Clemson is snatching them right out from under our noses...

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

great to see so many informed opinions -- I think the secondary is better than Pollack thinks, and I'm also a bit more bullish on the receiving corps. As for Swift, can he stay healthy? That's a key ....

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think defensive secondary will be good enough. They don't have to have another D'Andre Baker back there to be considered successful. Just be in the right place at the right time and things will work out. I do have some concerns about the linebacking corps. I think they'll be OK, but I think it's going to take a few games before they're up to ****. We shall see. And as far as receivers, I didn't realize that we had had that kind of success in the draft, but still, I"m not seeing any All-Pro candidates on that list, either. I think our receivers will be serviceable, if not very good. Time will tell if the freshmen become great.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

What a pleasure to have gotten rid of the spammers. Thanks DawgNation.

I'm not worried about linebacker. There is talent and depth there unlike we have ever had. D-line will be improved, but not elite. We'll miss Baker in the secondary.

On offense, I have a good feeling about the receivers once some new players get some experience. I am concerned about running back depth.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Based on what I saw in the spring game, I'm somewhat optimistic about the defense this year. Fromm had his way with them in his first 2 spring games, but struggled this year. The secondary was rock solid and the DL held it's own against arguably the best OL in the country. It appear to me that Dan Lanning and Charlton Warren are making strides. 

As for the offense, I'm looking forward to seeing Dominick Blaylock and George Pickens in action. Those 2 could be the missing link. Dominick Blaylock's crisp route running and his ability to create separation is going to help Fromm make quicker throws down field and I see Julio Jones written all over George Pickens.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm actually more concerned about the offense. If everybody stays healthy it will be great, but were one hit away from losing Fromm or Swift and there's not much proven depth after them.

This will be Smart's deepest and most talented defense, and there's senior leadership and promising depth at D-line. LB and the secondary look to be set with plenty of talent and depth. I really think this will be Smart's best defense yet.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"As for Swift, can he stay healthy? That's a key ...." Thats top notch thoughtfull analysis right there .... really crawling out on the old limb when talking football.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

I think he's playing some coach speak here for his Dawgs. Just like Kirby in that he's complementing a little but challenging certain units of the team.

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

If DP's biggest concern is about the lb'ers and db's this season we are going to be a huge force on 'D'. Guess he had to say something a bit negative? I don't believe you will find most of us Dawg fans feeling the same as DP!