Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football will be more than fine after 2021 QB Brock Vandagriff commits to Oklahoma

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited June 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football will be more than fine after 2021 QB Brock Vandagriff commits to Oklahoma

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Top Georgia high school quarterback Brock Vandagriff commits to Oklahoma Kirby Smart has accomplished a lot when

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oklahoma is a great place to go, if you don't want to be challenged, or face the best competition, or sharpen your skills against the best defenses.

Best of luck to young Vandagriff. See ya in 2023.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best wishes to Brock, yes it looks bad for us to lose a guy like that from our back yard, but we aren't looking for back to back pro style qbs. Kirby wants a dual threat Qb to follow Beck.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recruitment doesn't end just yet. Nobody is off the table until they sign the papers.

That said, Kirby & Company have absolutely blown me away with their recruiting successes, but nobody is going to win every time.

Good luck to our Georgia high school players and natives wherever they go to college (as long as they're not playing UGA in which case I hope they have the worst game(s) in their lives).

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure anyone was really expecting Vandagriff to commit when he'd be on the heels of Beck and with Williams and Stockton looming close behind. For the QB position more than any other, if you have an NFL future, there's a large "business decision" component to it.

• Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore
    The 2021 class is 2 years away. A lot can change by then. You know smart is recruiting well when people nick pick what he hasn’t done
  • Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    He must not be paying attention to the whole riley to NFL talk. Best of wishes once Riley's gone. He can say he wants to stay at Oklahoma, but money talks. Right opportunity opens up for him and he's gone. He's still living off stoops' success. Give it about year 5 and his luck will run out. There's only so much the offense can do to win games. Yes he did have Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray who are once in a lifetime, but Jalen hurts doesn't have the poise/moxy of those 2. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    Better QB's in the 2021 class than Vandargriff.. Best of luck in Oklahoma young man. Still say he's overrated, played weak opponents in HS until the state playoffs and lost to a much better team in the Title game
  • Options
    I'd rather have the LB from Athens Academy.. Len'neth Whitehead.
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not going to try to spin this in any sort of way. Sucks we lost this guy. We fans tend to gloat whenever we snare a big-time recruit, whether in or out of state, then try to minimize the kid or his school choice or his soon-to-be-coach when they choose otherwise. Oklahoma is a good school with a very good football team and an excellent coach. Those are just facts. And we can't be all in to the 4-star and 5-star players when they sign with UGA and then when they go elsewhere, make it seem as if the stars attached to their names don't really matter. No reason to think this kid won't be great at OU and no reason to think that we wouldn't have loved to have had him as a Bulldog. Will we still be OK at the quarterback position without him? Probably so. Would we have been better off WITH him? Probably so. But we didn't get him so we just move on. I hope he does well at OU -- except when we play them. At least he didn't go to Clemson as a top-rated quarterback from North Georgia all but guarantees them a National Championship. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 362 ✭✭✭ Junior

not sure why UGA can't sign the big time QBs that are from high schools near Athens

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2019

Oklahoma has one of the brightest offensive minds as head coach. And, Oklahoma has a tradition of competing at the highest level. I completely understand why this QB went there.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Because we are going after the big time QB in Rabun County for 2022

• Options
    My mistake..Vanargriff plays for Prince Avenue Christian, who did make the 2018 GHSA State playoffs but lost in the 1st round..
  • Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    You are forgetting that Transfers work both ways. Getting a QB to commit now adays seems to mean nothing. Should Fromm leave or get hurt, you can be confident we will get a transfer pretty quickly.

Based on our experience with #1 QBs, I'd almost rather have them spend a year somewhere else.