Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Back to the future: UGA football games I wish I’d seen in person

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited June 2019 in Article commenting

imageBack to the future: UGA football games I wish I’d seen in person

Imagine traveling back in time to see the Dawgs play.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wonderful article, Bill.

I remember riding the Southern Crescent between Atlanta and New Orleans, many times. One of the great parts of those trips was eating in the dining car. The food was quite good, and not too expensive. The views were great. The service was perfect. It was an elegant, top drawer restaurant experience on the train tracks.

Once I ate in the dining car while the train was stopped. It had hit a car. Apparently it was suicide by train. Not such a pleasant memory, that one, but it's overshadowed by many great memories of Southern Crescent trips.

Thinking of your father at that game but headed off to war brought tears to my eyes. Your father, like mine, survived, but he didn't know on that day what would happen or that he'd have the pleasure of having a son like you, sir.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fun article Bill. We were close to the same years at UGa. I missed the famous Flea-Flicker game against Bama in 1965 because I was in the infirmary with “Mono”. It would have been my first home game since I was a freshman that year. Bummer to miss that one so I’d have to include it on my “top 3” list. I’d also include the 1980 Sugar Bowl win over Notre Dame and one of those 2 big wins against the hated Gators (Spurrier being destroyed by Bill Stanfill & Jake Scott, and Company or the “run Lindsey run” game).

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was in the stands for the flea flicker against Alabama, it happened right in front of me. We had led all game but Alabama scored just before the flea play and I was hanging my head. Alabama fans were sitting in front of me and celebrating. After the flea jumped, when I realized what I was doing, I was beating the Alabama fan on the back yelling "Damed if we didn't do it". With a sad look on his face, he replied "you Dam*ed sure did". I don't know if I could have been that magnanimous.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excellent article! A most splendid morning read! Why do we have to settle on just 3 trips if we have this time traveling machine? I'd consider going forward to watch the Dawgs take down Bama in this year's SEC championship game, Oklahoma in the semifinals, and then Bama again to win the National Championship(the Tide will have beaten Clemson in the semis). 😎

• Options
    MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Pretty sure the Yale band played "Dixie" and not "Hail to Georgia." I remember watching the commentary in a documentary called 100 Years of Georgia Football produced in 1992. They even had an interview with an ancient Catfish Smith detailing how he scored those touchdowns.