Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Anybody watchin the womens world cup?

Comments

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

they are supposed to be the best their country has to offer. score as much as you can. and if you are scoring/dominating a team on that level you deserve to celebrate every goal. and it is a game, one meant for entertaining. celebrations are part of that entertainment

they want equal pay? then they need to increase their audience size. they do that by being entertaining, by dominating, by being fun to watch. scoring and fun celebrations are part of that . squeaking out a 1-0 win and treating everything like a business meeting would not be conducive to that goal

I am personally against kneeling but that is part of the freedom we have. they have the freedom and right to kneel. in some countries that would equal jail, or worse.

• Options

they play to a time limit, right? and the goal is to score as much as possible, right? and goal differential is important for seeding/tiebreakers, right? they would be morons to stop scoring. absolute mo.rons.

this is world class women's soccer, not some local 8 year old game.

same people who complain about this are often the same people who complain about millenials, participation trophies, and say things like "back in my day"

maybe that isn't you.

• Options

also, for those complaining about professional athletes scoring on other professional athletes: in the qualifiers Thailand beat Malaysia 6-0 and 3-0 and they beat Cambodia 11-0

• Options
    ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean, I wouldn't say it was disgusting. Excessive? But what, is Pugh not suppose to celebrate her first world cup goal she's ever made even though it's the 11 score of the game?

I'm more a fan of modest celebrations though, says I expect to win IMO.

• Options
    101ina45101ina45 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yup watching as many games as I can

• Options
    LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I’ve watched as many as I could but the first round is always gross because some of the teams just can’t play up to standard.  Thailand’s goalkeeper is the worst I’ve seen at this level.  Cameroon’s behavior was pathetic and I’m glad Africa’s governing body saw it the same way.

As for Rapinoe and the anthem, you couldn’t even tell she was “demonstrating”.  She didn’t kneel...she just didn’t cover her heart and sing during the anthem.  I can tell the criticism is from people that aren’t informed and just want to bleat about something.
  • Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    US Soccer put the brakes on the kneeling, which is why Rapinoe doesn’t put her hand over her heart or sing. I’m not wild about these kinds of protests on an international stage where you are representing the country, but it’s her right. 

The USWNT isn’t just fighting for equal pay, but improvement in conditions between them and the men, and it isn’t confined to our team. Norway’s best player is sitting out this tournament for many of the same reasons. In any event, the USWNT is in a unique position. In the history of the WWC, they’ve not only never failed to qualify, they’ve never failed to make at least the third place match. Their record and success in this sport far exceeds that of the men, and it isn’t even close.
  • Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Yes, they play to a time limit. And should score as much as possible within reason. US was never in danger of not advancing based on who was in their group, since you want to pretend you know what you're talking about. Sweden was the only other team that had a chance to knock them off, and the US is still a lot better team. Sweden beat Thailand 5-1 for reference (and that's with Sweden knowing they needed to score a ton due to the U.S.' poor sportsmanship). And even if there was a huge upset by Sweden, guess what? Two teams advance out of the group stages, so the US still would've made it through. A men's middle school team could beat Thailand handily, congrats ladies, you look foolish running the score up. I get 7-0 or something around there, but 13-0 is just ridiculous.

Also, I'm born in 84', and they're not sure where to classify us, some has us as Gen X's and others say we're millennials, as far your get off my lawn rant that has nothing to do with me. I'm merely bringing up a point about sportsmanship. The US knew it was never in danger of not advancing unless their team bus crashed, and still scored two touchdowns... in soccer.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will the US beat France for the World Cup?

• Options
    LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @DvilleDawg USA plays France next in the quarterfinals.  But yes, I expect the USA to win.
  • Options
    sanforddawgsanforddawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is this "Women's World Cup" you speak of?

• Options

Thailand beat Cambodia 11-0

the horror!

a lot of whining for a professional sports team scoring

• Options

Your point? That's poor sportsmanship too. And if you knew what you were talking about, again, you'd know that Cambodia just started fielding a women's national team. The first senior level national team played its first game in 2018, Cambodia's women's team has played 3 total games so far. Glad they could beat a country 11-0 that just started playing soccer at this level, great sportsmanship.

• Options
    edited June 2019

"if you knew what you were talking about"

kick rocks. second time you have made that comment. great role model there, mod

you think pro teams should stop scoring. i think that mindset is pathetic

I wrestled in college, I don't have a loser's mentality. I don't begrudge someone performing to their best. I don't think at the highest levels there should be a mercy rule. I think the conversation should end there since there won't be agreement.

• Options

Ok, bud. If someone can't see that the talent level between these teams is like the NE Patriots playing Austin Peay, then I don't know what to tell you. It's about that fair of a fight. And those two countries don't have any women pro players. Just because you play for a national team doesn't make you a professional athlete, see amateur college players in the Olympics.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod
    edited June 2019

Ref blows whistle..................

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LOR My husband has complained about the officiating during the games so much and he feels that they are favoring France is why I asked. I just wanted another person's opinion about the game. Thanks.