Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia WR Tyler Simmons: 'You're going to see a completely different offense'

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited August 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia WR Tyler Simmons: 'You're going to see a completely different offense'

Georgia football senior Tyler Simmons is excited about the new look offensive coordinator James Coley is going to bring, and predicts fans will like a more exciting offense this season

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the idea of opening up the offense a little more. It's great to be able to impose your will on a defense and just run it down their throat, but you need to be less predictable against the best teams. I'm hoping Coley will make the offense more of a chess match and that will lead to a few more big passing plays.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm looking forward to seeing what Coley's Offense looks like.

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 243 ✭✭✭ Junior

It does not concern me that UGA was 72nd in the nation in passing last year. Teams with a lot of passing yards are usually those with poor defenses who need to pass a lot in the 2nd half to make a comeback. Or else they are a team who simply cannot run the ball.

UGA under Smart is usually leading by a couple of touchdowns or more by halftime. It would be foolish to pass more than necessary just for the sake of bloating statistics. The only statistics that matter are wins and losses.

That said, I'm optimistic that Coley's seems intent on having more passes targeted to running backs. This aspect was, for some reason, completely neglected by Jim Chaney. Watching his offense, you would think a pass to a running back in the flat was illegal.

But Fromm also bears some responsibility. Too many times is there an open back, all by himself in the flat, yet Fromm will make a much more low-percentage throw, often a back-shoulder thrown to a wideout being tightly covered down the sideline. I love Jake, but I'd like to see him develop more of a "take what the defense gives" mentality.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

680 the Fan Radio host was on the SEC Network yesterday and declared UGA will lose one to two games this year, because we have no experienced wide receivers returning except for Simmons, Coach Coley has never called an offensive play in the SEC, Fromm is good but not great, only one proven running back, and Coach Smart has not proven that he can manage the big game yet, ala the fake punt against Bama. He once played for UGA for a different head coach, I pray though his prediction is totally wrong.

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2019

I just hope we stay a power offense and do go with the current fad of being purely a finesse team

I do look forward to seeing more passes to TEs that stand wide open in the middle of the field that's seem not to even exist in the old scheme or maybe that was just Fromm not liking to throw over the middle.

I also look forward to seeing some RBs on routes into the flats and maybe a wheel route or two

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe when we see Bama in the SEC title game Simmons will make his mark as an WR, and not as a punt blocker. Regardless, I really hope he is correct and Kirby let's Coley open up the offense.