Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Why Georgia has the best backfield in college football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited August 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH: Why Georgia has the best backfield in college football

Georgia football has a deep and talented backfield filled with runners who each possess their own unique skills and seemingly super powers

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA = RBU

And the tradition will continue with Milton and perhaps Evans.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Zamir White is healthy, there should be no doubt. Georgia has more quality depth and best group of running-backs in college football.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me, it is more exciting to watch an elite RB break through the line and into the secondary and take it to the house than it is to watch a 60 yard bomb for a TD. I love both, but with the backs we have, every play could possibly be a home run just handing the ball off and it demoralizes the defense.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2019

Lets win some national championships with these great backs. It's been 38 years since we won a national championship and every coach after Vince Dooley tried to use their own philosophy to compete for NCs but to no avail so lets bring back the uncomplicated toss sweep and become the dominant team in the sec for next 10 years. Maybe I'm just too old school but I love the toss sweep and I'm anxious to see what ZW can do in a offense like that.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't actually care what plays we run or what our offensive philosophy is as long as we win, but I get your point.

Sometimes simple works best (particularly when you have the horses). Perhaps there is a great reason why we don't seem to have used the toss sweep in recent times, but I'm missing it. It may not be fancy but it can be very effective. In a similar way, running up the gut works if you have the horses and can overpower the other team.

I think Dooley won with a competent and disciplined and hungry team, a good defense, a very good line, and an other worldly running back.

What Dooley really didn't have (and got away with not having thanks to #34) was balance. Yes, his teams had some amazing pass plays. One in Florida for instance, but he hated to pass the ball.

If anything, I blame losing the two big games on us having just a bit too much of a stubborn streak in our play calling, and agree with you that a few toss sweeps could have really helped us out here and there in the last couple of years.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do miss the toss sweep.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I miss the toss sweep as well. I also miss the 80-yard TD toss to an open WR, like the one to Mecole Hardman in the 2017 CGPCG vs Bama. I'm not sure we have tried it since...

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the toss sweep, too, but I honestly think teams (including UGA) don't run it as much anymore because of the speed of today's linebackers, a la Roquan Smith. When you can go sideline to sideline like that (and many of today's linebackers are just that fast) it's hard to consistently be effective with the toss sweep. But who knows. I'm like @JimWallace , though. Just run whatever plays will win. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is nothing more beautiful in football than watching an offense that could tell the defense what play is coming and not be able to be stopped. Grinding out a 10 play running drive, watching the LB's with hands on their hips between plays is sweet, indeed.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In anticipation of the upcoming season I watched some highlights of games from yester year. 2014-Hard to believe our backfield had. Tod Guirley, Keith Marshal, Nick Chubb AND Sony Michel. Are you kidding me?! How we managed to lose to Bama that year is beyond me.

Go Dawgs! T E N More days!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can't wait until August 31. Take it to Vandy.