Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

9/11

swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You guys remember where you were on 9/11? I sure do. Its my generations Kennedy Assassination. I am told for the previous generation it was Pearl Harbor.

In two years that horrific event will be twenty years in the rear view mirror. Hard to believe its been that long. Though now that I think about it for a minute it seems like a distant memory.

I had just walked in to work past the receptionist. She listened to morning radio every morning without fail. She commented that a plane had hit the WTC. I thought to myself has to be bad weather and a Cessna or something way off course. I started my day as usual. A few minutes later I heard a shriek from the receptionists direction. Another plane had hit the other tower. I immediately tried to get on any news site. Fox, CNN etc. Nothing would load. Working in IT I new something was up. Only way those servers were down was if they were getting hit with loads of traffic. This was no random plane off course. I finally got the NYT website to load. An extremly small pic of one of the towers on fire. Right away I called my Dad.

America was under attack.

I tried to work for a bit but it was pointless. Right after lunch I was packing my gear and heading home. Spent the rest of the evening sipping on a tall bottle of George Dickel, getting "Dickeled" as we used to say, and getting madder than hell. I cant imagine the torture some endured before finally deciding it was better to jump out of a window from 90+ stories up. I watched a documentary some years later where a camera was present with some of the first responders. Every few seconds you would hear a loud bang. That was a person hitting the roof above them just above the ground floors.

I wept.

After quite some time we finally got Bin Laden. I got "Dickeled" that night too. You can run from America for awhile. But not forever.

Today I heard almost no talk about this. In two years it will be a big deal again because of the anniversary.

But how quickly we forget.

*Even if this gets by the censors, which I doubt will happen, I dont mean this post to be taken as political in any way.