Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Seems few off-field issues under Smart. Due to increased staff?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So Cy Brown's article about UGA's increased support staff got me thinking. It seems there have been fewer off-field and off-season issues in 2017 than in years past. I know there have not been zero, just seems to be fewer. And I think the only ones so far in 2017 have been marijuana related which, it is illegal in Georgia but it is one of those things that most view as not a big deal and it is legal in 20+ states in some form or another. Don't want to make the thread about that, just saying the off-field issues in 2017 are minor

If this trend continues, and I hope it does, do you think part of it stems from increased support staff? I mean if you have more adults in leadership positions involved with the players, you have more going on, more eyes, etc it is a good thing. The players have more accountability maybe

I could be wrong, just throwing it out there. Seems like the support staff could potentially have a positive impact in many facets

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Be careful about legality; I don't know of any that it is legal for under 21 so because a University is in state X doesn't mean that they have a right/obligation to turn a blind eye.

• Options
    cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

hey off-season isn't over yet ;) but it could be part of the increased support staff or just the change in culture...

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy .... I do believe that it has to do with the bigger staff. More opportunities to keep them busy. I also think it has to do leadership. When the big 4 decided to return for 1 more year, I think that motivated the rest.

@cf_ugaman .... You are correct that the off season isn't over, be we are only a couple of weeks away from fall practice starting. So it close.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Me being one of the major dissidents against Kirby's possible predilection towards over-recruiting, this is probably an area Kirby's attitude helps with. Note that at this point I'm not accusing Kirby of over-recruiting. But I think everyone would agree Kirby is notably more aggressive than Richt at recruiting. Anyway, with the new philosophy, the guys know there's more of a chance that if they get in trouble, someone else will take their spot. That fear just probably wasn't as present when Richt was running things.

Richt would kick you out if you were a troubled player. But like just a single underage possession or two? Nah, just perform your punishment and get back on the field.

• Options
    andycappsandycapps Posts: 292 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2017

@cf_ugaman said:
    hey off-season isn't over yet ;) but it could be part of the increased support staff or just the change in culture...

Could be. But I hate even talking about this sort of thing. It's like taking about a no hitter in the eighth inning. Don't jinx it!