Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia report card: Bulldogs overcome themselves in 23-17 win over Notre Dame

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia report card: Bulldogs overcome themselves in 23-17 win over Notre Dame

Georgia football passed the test against Notre Dame, but not in impressive fashion on Saturday night at Sanford Stadium, 23-17

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

We didn’t play like the number 3 team in the nation

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,883 mod

Do you guys actually like this team?

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The week off is definitely well timed as we need to make some revisions. Congrats to the Dawgs for pulling it off and bigger congrats to the fans in the stadium. Never before have I felt that Sanford really was a home field advantage but we couldn't have won without you. It was well worth the money you could've sold tour tickets for.

From was indeed extremely impressive especially when he was being chased and still managed to get off impressive throws. The OLine certainly didn't seem like the best in the nation.

Beyond the poor special teams (other than rodrigo of course) I'm not sure what to feel. Notre Dame played hard as hell but I think we did too. We need to make a lot of improvements though if we are going to make a run at the NC.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fairly accurate grades imo. This was our first test and we passed. Thought there were too many weird penalties in this game and why Notre Dame was never called for pi is beyond me when they never looked for the ball.

hats off to Cager! Welcome to the show! Woerner missed some key blocks ( cook sweep for example). Pickens has to bring down more of those 50-50’s.

When the coaches let the defense loose they were incredible!

All in all let’s take the lessons learned and build

• Options
    DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the W but I agree with you Mike. Could Kirby of been just getting by and saving most of our secret weapons for the killer November stretch?

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It''s hard to accurately judge this game. If ND goes undefeated the rest of the way, they were underated from the start and this game looks a lot better for us. Too many mistakes and that is on us, regardless of what happens the rest of the year. The fans in attendance truly were the "12th man" tonight and that is as it should be at every game. It's a win on national TV against the number 7 ranked team, I'll gladly take it and look forward to the rest of the season.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Left off one very important thing, the officiating was atrocious!! Several uncalled PI and holding calls on ND. ND using a fake injury at least once and probably twice. They did, at least, make it look ligit on the sidelines on the second one.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lesson learned! We should not schedule out of conference top programs to come to Athens. We need to schedule like Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. It's just no fun having to watch the Dawgs have to compete against a top 10 team in the fourth quarter. On the other hand, we are not at the point of the season where people's opinions matter whether it is Griffith, DN commenters, Herbstreit, AP writers, coaches, or anyone else! My guess is that when the committee meets, if the Dawgs take care of business, the ND non conference win will be a feather in Kirby's cap when compared to wins over Directional U of the teams we will be competing with to get into the playoffs and also for seeding purposes.

• Options
    Jaydawg67Jaydawg67 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike. Best summary of a game I’ve read ! As I’ve commented earlier Kirby’s inabilities to finish teams is his glaring weakness. You hit the nail on the head when saying kelly coached to win and Kirby coached to not loose! Absolutely spot on. This going to cost us if he don’t change

• Options
    BobRodesBobRodes Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman
    edited September 2019

If Jake Fromm says he really didn't accidentally elbow Asmar Bilal in the eye, I'll buy the second one. But it sure looked like he did. As for "atrocious officiating" being "important," not so much. Everyone says the officiating was terrible when it goes against their own team, and fabulous when it doesn't. Routine is one thing, important is another.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

The crowd was the MVP of the game. That's what home field advantage is all about. This is the same Notre Dame team that went undefeated last year and played Clemson better than Alabama did in the CFP. Give the Notre Dame coaching staff credit for coming up with a great game plan for keeping the game close and giving themselves a chance to win at the end. They wanted respect from the media and college fans after hearing all week that this should be blowout and they got it. It seemed as though the Georgia coaching staff drank to much to the media cool-aid or ate some rat poison. They seemed surprised by Notre Dame play and game plan but give them credit for halftime adjustments. James Coley has to be more creative with the play calling. We have the talent to win a championship but in order to win a championship it has to be better prepared. Great Win. GO Dawgs!

• Options

If that's true, then Notre Dame didn't play like the number 7 team in the nation. I'll disagree with you on both counts.

• Options

This was a heck of a game, a good old-fashioned slugfest. We lost, but not as badly as everyone expected us to. If y'all want to say that that is because your team didn't play as well as expected, rather than because Notre Dame is a better team than anyone expected, then fuss on. But I'm here to say that both teams played a great game, and we can expect that to show out over the rest of the season.

Now go whip the rest of the SEC and win the division. Help us to look good. Congrats on a great game.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not just big games. Just like the Richt teams, Georgia finds it impossible to step on the field and play a complete game from the opening kick to the final whistle.

After four years of top ranked recruiting and the level of talent across every position, this team should be dominating the teams they have played this year including the Irish along with being ready to go toe to toe with the Bama's and Clemson's of the game.

I totally agree with Kirk H as well. With all of the above along with the atmosphere and crowd, Georgia should have turned the Irish fifty shades of black and blue.

For whatever reason they just can't get out of their own way. With the games coming up in Jacksonville and especially on the Plains, if Kirby & crew do not get this put to bed once and for all, we will be looking at another Auburn game from two years ago or the LSU/Texas games from last year.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Could Kirby of been just getting by and saving most of our secret weapons for the killer November stretch? - DestinDawg

Secret weapons lol? Yeah, Kirby will probably bring back the fake punt and fake FG plays after the bye week...