Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Georgia football controversial fourth-and-1 decision 'tough call'

2»

Comments

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

How do you guys feel right now about Chaney vs Coley? Who would you rather have, if you have to chose one or the other? I’m not super impressed by Coley’s gameplan. I think better teams will bottle that offense up rather easily.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Chaney has worked wonders for turning around UT's offense...../s

You choose.....

• Options
    Ol_UGA_DiehardOl_UGA_Diehard Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Saturday Night or Sunday Morning quarterbacked isn't apropos in most cases, but I'll let it slide. Coach Smart Kirby didn't want our + turnover to do nothing but push ND back. That would've made them like they were impenetrable. As it turned out, ND needed to score a TD to tie, then kick a PAT to win. They were in or approaching FG range when the Dawg Defense Hunkered Down. Sure, we could've blocked the FG or PAT, but that would've possibly drawn a flag, giving ND another set of downs, or at least another shot. It could've even led to a pooch kick from the 50. Our special teams are good but had already coughed up a punt in the RZ - let's not squeeze them quite yet.

I feel comfortable CKS made the right call. Even though I was on a barstool urging him to blow a hole through the ND DL and LB's. They would've likely full-blitzed the play, stuffing play action, and had stacked the DL with anyone that wasn't down with an injury.

ND was expecting a run, and our backfield and OL line was healthy, but they'd be very receptive to a fumble or interception.

That's why they call it the Red Zone - not because red is UGA's primary color.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with @Tom1111 . Our offensive line is (supposedly) the best in college football. Our running back group is (supposedly) the #1 RB group in the country (certainly in the SEC). Notre Dame ranks 120th in the country against the run; they didn't get there by accident. The fact that four games into the season, our head coach doesn't trust this massive line to clear a hole to pick up 1 yard, late in the game, deep in the opponent's territory is a problem. And half the people on this thread who claim CKS made the right call are ONLY saying it because Hot Rod made the field goal. Had he missed it (and we all know he's CAPABLE of missing chip-shot field goals) they would have been calling for Kirby's scalp. If we're afraid to go for it against the likes of the Notre Dame defensive line, what happens when he have to have a yard against an elite D-Line, like Auburn? I just don't understand it how the line is still having the same problems it has had for two years now. How are they not getting better? Right now, I'd like someone to show me I'm wrong when I say that (punting aside) our O-Line -- supposedly the unquestioned strength of this team -- is actually its weakest link. Think about it: Receiving corps has stepped up and is really become a pleasant surprise; tight ends: Eli Wolfe is a godsend, especially since it seems that Charlie Woerner has regressed; running backs: Swift is a potential All-American and the backups are pretty good down through the #5 back; the D-Line is much improved in both run defense and getting a pass rush; the linebackers, after starting slowly at Vanderbilt, have taken things up a notch, especially impressed with Tae Crowder; the secondary will face tougher passing attacks but right now, they're not giving up the big play and J. R. Reed is playing himself right into a high NFL draft pick. And Jake Fromm at QB -- nuff said! So that leaves us with the O-Line. All of those 5 stars, all of that weight, strength, height, agility. Yet since Game 1, Jake has had to run for his life against less than stellar D-Lines. our running backs have run well but on short yardage, where we should dominate, we get stopped for no gains or losses. And again, with a chance to seal the biggest game of the year thus far, in front of a national TV audience, our head coach doesn't have enough faith in these All (Talk) Americans to line up and just run it down their throats. We won the game so Kirby can't be castigated too much. But I'm telling you Dawg fans, something's rotten in Denmark and I believe our offensive line is it. Go Dawgs!