Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart: Why Zamir White didn't carry against Notre Dame

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart: Why Zamir White didn't carry against Notre Dame

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart said UGA wanted to get Zamir White a carry against Notre Dame, but Heisman candidate D'Andre Swift was running so well it was hard to take him out

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ugachrisugachris Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

"It's hard to give the ball to anybody else." Riiiiight. But in the 2017 Notre Dame game, UGA had two incredible RB's (Chubb & Michel), and Kirby still gave his 3rd-string back (Swift) some touches.

So I think the truth is that Smart still doesn't have enough confidence in Zamir White to send him out there in a tight game. A bad exchange could lead to a fumble, or a missed blitz pick-up could lead to a **** sack. Kirby still needs to see more of White in low-pressure situations before he lets him play in high-pressure situations.

• Options

Haha, my post was censored because I used a 5-letter word that starts with an "S" and basically means "to rip the ball away from the QB."

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

No doubt Swift played at an extremely elevated level. However White should have got some touches. He has earned that.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby still has growing pains to go through as a head coach. He was with Satan when the Bama offense was run by QB's who just managed the game. Now Bama's offense is pass and pass some more by Tua. Fromm can pass the ball also, but he is being limited by the conservative play calling from the sideline. It did work against ND, but it won't against Florida or Auburn, their defenses are world's better than ND.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most teams including UGA have a depth chart for every position group. Want more playing time, move up the depth chart. Players understand this and are motivated to improve and "do more". The depth chart for RBs at UGA is obvious, Swift, Herrien, Cook, White. Fields got entitlement touches all last year and not once did it make the Dawgs a better team. Zeus is not Fields but I support the coaches making him earn his playing time. In the long run, he and the Dawgs will be better because of it!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Zeus played, Kirby was complimentary of him on picking up a blitz, so I don't think it's a lack of confidence.

• Options

Kirby was talking about Zeus picking up blitzes at Tuesday's practice. I never saw Zeus in the game Saturday. If you did, please tell me the quarter and the time, so I can go back to the video and find it.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Come on, Kirby. You're the head coach. FIND a way to get the best players in the game. Easily could have thrown White in the game for a couple of carries, just for a change of pace. I think in this game, the coaches were afraid of what the freshmen might do (or not do) so they limited their playing time. Probably the only reason some members of our secondary saw the field was because of injury.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Tybeedawg, I watched the LSU, Auburn, and Florida games Saturday, and I sure hope you're right.

Maybe Tennessee is that bad, but Florida held them to a FG. Florida's offense under Trask looks a lot more confident than I ever saw with Franks as QB. Right now, the SEC East looks like the Georgia / Florida game will settle it. Florda gets Auburn 10/5, and LSU 10/12...maybe they'll be beat up before playing us.

Maybe Texas A&M isn't what I thought they were because Auburn really held them in check...or is Auburn's D that good? Auburn's offense also was better than I thought. Nix kind of reminds me of Fromm as a freshman...looks more in command than you would think.

LSU scored 66, but they also gave up 38 against Vandy (I didn't check to see if they were 2nd or 3rd stringers for LSU D). LSU plays Florida and Auburn before we do. Burrow looks good, but man is he cocky.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Herrien is a guy that plays hard and hustles all the time and would have been a great benefit to Georgia Southern who could use him right now. As it stands he is one of CKS favorites so he plays and gets touches in front of guys who have much more talent. At the end of the season Herrien will move on to the next stages of his life and UGA will be better off for it

Sorry but he just don't match up with White or Cook talent wise ….. His most impressive carry of his career at UGA was his first against UNC