Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tennessee coach says Vols ‘100 times better' than last year

SystemSystem Posts: 10,431 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageTennessee coach says Vols ‘100 times better' than last year

No. 3-ranked UGA is off this week, and the next opponent is Tennessee on Oct. 5. Tennessee is struggling this season under second-year coach Jeremy Pruitt. The Volunteers are 1-3, with losses to Georgia State and a 34-3 decision on the road against Florida. However, Tennessee still has its confidence. “Our football

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

UT is a sinking ship. Everyone who is smart enough to see it coming is starting to leave.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, their program is bad shape, but imagine a scenario where they beat the Dogs. Think of what that would do for their season. Don’t take them lightly, no matter how bad things look. I hope the Dogs come out fired up (and healthy) and their take their will from them early in the game.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I hate seeing all of the UT bashing crap. I don't EXPECT them to be able to keep up with us, but I can promise you that if our team has that attitude, we'll find ourselves struggling to catch back up. Our history with UT as well as some of our games so far this year where we had periods where we struggled are proof of that. This is an SEC game.

As a side note, I looked at Missouri's SEC schedule and while they may not be as strong they sure have an easier schedule.

• Florida has to play both LSU and Auburn
    • We play Texas A&M and Auburn
    • Missouri plays Ole Miss and Arkansas.

Not exactly fair. They are expected to win all of their SEC games minus Florida and us. We MUST take these SEC games seriously or we could easily find ourselves without going to Atlanta. All it takes is a loss to either A&M or Auburn plus a loss to Missouri and Missouri will head there instead.

Go Dawgs. Lets crush them.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I expect a tough game in Knoxville, but it’s kinda crazy to say UT is “100 times better” than last year. They may be a little better, but 100 times is an extreme stretch. Glad we have a week off to heal and get over our big ND win....and to get fired-up for the Vols. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UT's having an historically bad year so far, and I know it's hard to swallow, but I really don't think many should be surprised.

Butch Jones was never going to be able to get them all the way back. He actually thought a turnover trash can was a good idea. That program was in shambles when Pruitt took over. It was going to take some time.

I really think the UT fans just need to show great support for the program, and realize it's going to take another year, maybe two for Pruitt to recruit, and develop the players needed to become competitive...

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have you ever cornered a snake? It will strike out at anything that gets close. Don't take any opponent lightly. Be prepared for four quarters of smash mouth football. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HerschelsDailySoupHerschelsDailySoup Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

I like how Pruitt seems to equate 2 unconverted 4th downs to bad turnover luck in his quote. That kind of attitude isn't gonna win him any love from the fans

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

I really can't think of such a scenario, at least not this year, but I understand trying being cautious.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought the Tenn game last year was one of their toughest competition. The Vol defense was playing rather physical. I would say they have regressed 100%. Not sure where Pruitt is coming up with his analysis.

• Options
    Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think Pruitt is saying that out loud to try convincing himself lmao

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dumpster Fire. '100 times better' and lost to Georgia State?

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s a poor frog that won’t praise his own pond

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would warn folks that some of the same people who were saying Georgia would beat Notre Dame easily are saying the same about Tennessee. Don't be surprised if Tennessee comes out very inspired and makes it a competitive game, they are not as good as Notre Dame but it's a rival game on the road. Take nothing for granted

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let me start with I hate snakes. That said, my encounters with snakes have shown me that snakes would rather run but will, as you say, strike if cornered. Let's allow them to "run" and stomp the crap out of them.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Pruitt can probably get UT competitive in 5 years. I don't think UT fans or Fullmer will give him 3 years, much less 5. Last year, he started with a dumpster and it takes time to replace the refuse with quality. He, nor anyone else at UT, attract the quality athletes that UGA can and does but he will do a good job with the talent he can recruit there. Just my opinion.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The number one rule of football game prognostication is the well known truism: On any given Saturday any team can beat you.

Unless we forget that or become too arrogant to understand it or all sorts of horribly unlucky things happen to us it's very hard to imagine how Tennessee has a path to victory, but the truism dictates they absolutely do.

We must be ready for a brawl in Knoxville.

Fortunately we have both Kirby & a recent battle with Notre Dame to prepare us. Tennessee has Pruitt & a recent enough defeat by Georgia State to prepare them.

None of us knows what song the fat lady will sing, but I doubt it's going to be Rocky Top. That said, we must make sure to remember how much we hate them, how physical they can be, how much they want the win, and how important this SEC game is to us. They absolutely can beat us. Worse, they believe they can beat anybody (well except Florida and Georgia State) so we have to convince them otherwise.

Even if this turns out to be glorified scrimmage we have to make it a productive and educational experience for both us and Tennessee.

I'm pretty sure schooling them is the sort of educational experience most of us have in mind. There is no score I'd turn down as long as we get the W, but what score would be best for both Tennessee and Georgia?

Like everyone else in the world I know Pruitt is blowing smoke with his 100 times better nonsense. Our job will be to play assignment football. We need to work out plenty of kinks. Above all we need to be physical and dominant and exacerbate Tennessee's recruiting woes. No recruit should be in any doubt - following the game next Saturday - about the relative merits of the teams.

We also need to make sure Eli Wolfe ends up happy he went with Georgia for his graduate school football.

Changing Pruitt's mind about his team - convincing him to do a Spurrier - would be a worthy goal. If Pruitt stays Tennessee is in trouble. If he leaves they're in worse trouble. We have no shot at removing his delusions.

Obviously, I have little hope for a competitive game, but we must be ready for one and willing to push beyond our previous efforts to insure a victory over Tennessee.

Go, Dawgs!