Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains reasons behind 'disappointing' offensive line performance against South Carolin

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageKirby Smart explains reasons behind 'disappointing' offensive line performance against South Carolina

ATHENS — No team has recruited as well on the offensive line as Georgia has in recent seasons. The Bulldogs have signed a 5-star offensive lineman in each of the last three cycles, including two in the 2018 class. Their best offensive lineman, Andrew Thomas, wasn't even a 5-star player. If there's one position group

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Can we block on the perimeter well enough that a 12-yard run is a 50-yard run because we’ve got pretty good backs to do that with."

Yes, and will those blocking wide receivers also learn how to CATCH?!? I hear that is also supposed to be part of the skill set for that position.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Really worried about several things

1. Injuries
    2. Where this team heads are after being pretty good by fan base and the Media
    3. Can these coach's self evaluate themselves after Saturday to help these players
    4. WR #15 Cager well enough to help us the next few weeks
    5. Knowing Muschamp laid out a pretty good defensive plan, can we change to off set that
    6. Four teams much better than Carolina left to play.
  • Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

SEC Network had a segment about how LSU's receivers worked to fix their 2018 pass drop problems. They called this past summer the "Summer of 10,000 Catches", and man has their work paid off!

You can find an article about it at LSUsports.net

• Options
    SandyOnTheFlintSandyOnTheFlint Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

When we are struggling on the offensive line as we were Saturday, that is all the more reason to NOT try and run the ball so consistently on first and second down like we were trying to do in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Just a small amount of variation and mixing things up could have helped the offensive line a bunch by keeping SC honest!

• Options
    DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

Injuries add up at all positions. No doubt it effects performance. The key area of injuries was on the other team with their 3rd string qb. That is way more glaring a stat than our O-line.

Not a fair weather fan like some but yeah I'm still ill about Saturday.

GO DAWGS

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

With the exception of maybe Alabama, every team SC has played has had an inferior OL when compared to UGA. SC's record was 2-3 coming into Athens. Are we to believe that 3 winning teams had better OLs than Georgia?? BS.

• Options

Like I just posted on the D'Andre Swift story, where has the Cade Mays been that threw the Arkansas State player around like a rag doll???

I'm dying to see that tenacity against an opponent like FU...would have loved it this past weekend too!

• Options

If we don't, how many 5 star receivers will want to come to UGA?

I'm afraid this game is going to have repercussions on the commitment front until I see otherwise.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't buy what you are trying to sell Kirby. All teams deal with injuries. Just an excuse. Your boys got whipped at the line of scrimmage, simple as that.

We're supposedly so deep at the OL it should not matter one iota.

These kind of excuses only come from teams that know they don't have it to finish the drill.

• Options
    MMURPHYMMURPHY Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

we got out-coached!!!!

• Options
    MadDawggMadDawgg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

According to the HC the team identity is run on first, run on second and pass on third then repeat. The WR are used to block to support the run. That’s why so few elite WR choose to come to UGA

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one has mentioned that Bama only had 77 yards rushing against SC and averaged 2.8 yards per carry. Also, SC put up almost 500 yards offense in that same game. I think we screwed up, made mistakes and were beaten by a fairly good team.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know guys were hurt, but even our third-team O-Line guys are supposed to be better than whoever SC has. They just are. Then their third-team QB (who started the season at wide receiver) comes in the game and he's running around our guys like they're standing still. Reminded me of Jalen Hurts in the SECCG. As it was, despite the injuries and the turnovers, UGA still nearly won this game. Coaching alone, should have been able to get them over the hump. But our coaches let the team down. And what bothers me, is that what CKS said after this game, is the same thing he's been saying after every game this season. He keeps saying the coaches need to look at themselves, that they need to open up the offense, that they need to get their more explosive players involved. They keep saying this over and over, but it doesn't happen. Meanwhile, everyone from CKS down to the water boy keeps telling us how they have to go back to work and "get better." I'm so doggone tired of hearing that crap. Can anyone who has watched UGA all year HONESTLY say this team is "better" now than it was back on Aug. 31 when they played Vanderbilt? Florida is better. SC is better. Auburn is better. Mizzou is better. Even Tennessee is (slightly) better. But UGA hasn't improved. Go back and look at or read Kirby's post game press conference comments after all of the games this year and you'll see that they've been practically the same thing. The same issues (except for Rodrigo) have plagued us all year (under-performing O-Line and secondary, average wide receivers, lack of explosive running plays, lack of athleticism by Fromm) and although CKS promises to fix or change them, it has yet to happen. And to me, that's going to spell the end of the 2019 season that was so filled with hope. And next year, probably without even the stars we have now (Fromm, Swift, Cager) will be even worse. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

No one has leveled any criticism at Sam Pittman?!? He is so worried about interchangeable OL they can not even master one position first. But the problem is QB, Fromm is just too flat footed, slow, and can not break down a defense with his legs when things go bad. If the WR is not open on first play, then it's over. With Tua, Hurts, Fields, and Lawrence, they extend the play for 2-3 even 5 seconds to give WR time to come back or break routes. Aaron Murray 2.0