Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart shares concerns, two involving pass game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football coach Kirby Smart shares concerns, two involving pass game

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart made it clear the Bulldogs aren't a finished product, but he likes how hard the team is working

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA will need that "us against the world" mentality when it meets FLA. It's pretty amazing to see what Bo Nix, Trask, Hilinski, and Plumlee have done as first year guys suppassing in many areas what Jake has done as a 3rd year Heisman candidate. Is if due to them having better receivers? If so shame on CKS for not being able to reload. Is it because they have better offensive lines to protect their QB's? IF so then who is coaching up our 5 stars? Is it becasue they have better run games to balance out their attack? Better than our O-line and Deandre Swift? FLa went about 75% pass against LSU and SC. Is it the "simple passing routes" Brian Kelly said, we run? IS Jake's arm really hurting as someone mentioned on here yesterday? There's something wrong here, not exactly sure what it is, maybe a combination of many things.

One thing for sure it all starts with coaching. BIll Belechick just inserts new pieces every year it seems. So does Saban, but the end result is pretty predictable. I really believed at the beginning of the year we had become another Alabama. We aren't there yet. AS a matter of fact South Carolina, Florida appear to be catching and passing us in 2 quick years. DIdn't think it possible 2 years ago.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear Kirby's statement as perfect for today.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reading the Gator Boards, believe it or not, some of the realistic bloggers are concerned our strengths play right into their weakness. EVERYONE has run on them. And, our defense is more than capable to keep us in any game, especially if we get a couple of guys back.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cager is the one receiver that can create separation and put himself in position to catch the ball. He's got bad ribs and a separated shoulder. Simmons has hands of stone. Jackson is one game back from a broken hand and that game was played in tropical storm wind and rain. Robertson is either hurt or the laziest, disappointing five star to come down the pike. Who thinks it's possible that Pickens and Blalock will be better as sophmores with a year's SEC experience and with SEC bodies that will be developed enough to get off of press coverage than they are as freshmen? And Kirby is supposed to say, "To hell with the best run game in the SEC, let's throw the ball all over the field to entertain a few fans."? INSANITY!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Simple football mastery...run and pass. One of those dimensions alone does not a championship team make. Kirby says things, a lot of things.....just put it into play coach....and we'll be happy tail-gaters....enough talk. Football is an action game. Mix-it up Coley...come on boy, you can do it. It is called PASSING THE FOOTBALL. Hopefully jxville will be a dry day or Fromm is in trouble...he told us that! This team needs a CARE package. But, we love our Dawgs......so...GO DAWGS!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

I well remember that game on the plains, and the NC game when we sent Chubb up the middle over and over again.

We were whipping Alabama, but the refs stepped in to help and we never adjusted to compensate.

Remember Fromm's long TD to Hardman? Why could / can we not run that play?

BTW, last night the Patriots used a LB as a fullback to block for Sony on a goal line TD...man, all I could think is why can't we do that???

I don't want to throw the running game away...quite the contrary!!...I want the running game to flourish by opening up the passing game to keep the defense guessing. When an opposing team knows what you're going to run, the odds aren't great that the play will be successful.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ShoottheHooch. I don’t believe you can point to one instance where anyone has said or implied “To hell with running the ball” or words to that effect. Your comments would be more credible without the drama and sensationalism. What many of us have said is try using more imagination in the run game besides running it up the gut over and over. Saturday against Kentucky when we started getting outside the tackles we started moving the ball. If you can’t see defenses are laying in wait knowing what we are about to do a large majority of the time you may need to rewind and watch the last two games again. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kind of unfortunate that we tried to get Plumlee to blueshirt. Imagine if we had him to come in as a change of pace guy in the way that the one who left for Ohio State was used.

• Options
    Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

Never played the game, but for all this “press coverage” talk how come every time we see a 22 camera shot we see dbs 10 yards off the line? Why won’t slants work, or quick outs? Someone who knows more than me (don’t take much) pls explain.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I kind of feel better about things now. GATA coach!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Biggest concern.... Jake has lost his swag. Indecisive and in accurate past 2 games, very atypical Fromm.

somebody take tha boy huntin and fishing please!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I said in another thread, I'm really scratching my head at what is going on.

Is Fromm down because he wanted to leave after this year and has lost his enthusiasm?

Does he just not click with the receivers other than Cager?

Whatever it is, I'm afraid something has gotten in his head and rattled his confidence...at least that's how it looks to me.

• Options
    ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Jake Fromm is at his best as a QB when Georgia goes quick tempo. This has been true for three years and has been obvious to everyone.

I don't understand why Smart trusted Fromm enough to sit Justin Fields, who may be the generational talent that people said he was, and then have him walk out the door, but he won't trust him enough to protect his defense in an up-tempo offense.

There are other ways to wear out a defense besides having fat guys lay on them for two hours.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was opening up the passing game that turned into the loss to SC. One play the receiver ran the wrong route, Jake anticipated the receiver being where the play was designed to go and it was intercepted. Another hit the receiver in the hands and it was intercepted. Another was a 50/50 ball that went to the wrong 50%. By definition, that's a 50% possibility. Cager was hurt and didn't play the second half.

Pounding KY into submission in the first half led to a 21 point win in the second half. UF would have loved a 21 point win against KY.

Wishing our receivers ran correct routes, didn't have hands of stone, and won every 50/50 ball doesn't make it so. Having the #1 rushing attack in the SEC based on four quarters of football every game is a fact!

Until our receivers gain the experience and whatever else that needs to happen for them to be able to beat press coverage, create separation, and catch the ball when they're targeted, I won't panick over "slow starts" because I've watched enough Kirby Ball to know what to expect later in the game!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is cracking me up as you fair weather fans say that Georgia is out of it. Florida has 2-4 players that would start on Georgia's team and for all of you statistic folks here they are:

Ga Points Per game: 36 Ga Points Allowed Per game:10.6

Fl. Points Per game: 32 Fl. Points Allowed Per game: 15.8

This gives Georgia a 9.2 difference over Florida and this Georgia team is in Florida's head. Should we open up the offense-Heck yes, but we have a good shot to win the east and get back to Atlanta to play LSU in the Championship game.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

3 plays!!!!!! Run up the middle,Cook on a reverse,back shoulder throw to the tall guy !!!!