Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia's Jacksonville negotiations involve 'significantly higher' payout, shorter term contract

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia's Jacksonville negotiations involve 'significantly higher' payout, shorter term contract

Georgia football negotiations to keep the Florida rivalry in Jacksonville involve a "significantly higher" payout and shorter contract term, according to a DawgNation source

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dump Jacksonville, already, Kirby.  If a neutral site city is wanted, how about Nashville?  Both teams would have to fly.  Maybe it would cost UF $5000 more in Jet fuel than UGA.  Much nicer city, and a TRUE neutral site. 

• Options
    CEPHCEPH Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Why should Kirby be involved in financial decisions (such as the game in Jax) he may not even be there. Coaches come and go and he is no exception so why should he be involved in this decision

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why do I think that the people who will make the decisions on this are finding bags with large amounts of money in them on their doorstep.....The tactic I would use.......Demand so much from the city of Jacksonville that they will simply give up trying to negotiate any DEAL...iIt's time we got this game out of Jacksonville

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For God's sake make this game Home and Home!!!!!!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, it shows that it's all about the money. Period.

I disagree though that there really is a "home field" advantage given the distance. I don't see Jax as a disadvantage for UGA vs an Atlanta. Either way, I expect Dawg fans will travel well and occupy at least 50% of the stadium.

Home/Home is preferred by players and coaches, so THAT should be the decision. Sad it's about the $$$ instead, but hey in this era of buying cupcake victories I guess it's to be expected.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Evidently enough wealthy boosters love going down to J'ville and hobnobbing or else it would be a moot point.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Truth: As long as we are playing in Jacksonville our chances of winning a National Championship are diminished. I personally don't care if we receive $10 million to play there each year. 1. It is essentially a home game every year for FLA. 2. We lose an opportunity with recruits every other year. 3. Anything good for FLA is bad for UGA.

Stop the madness and personal reasons for "enjoying" the "unique atmosphere" or "tradition" BS. I'm tired of low-IQ individuals declaring their love of this game in Jacksonville and I'm sick of the high-IQ individuals that ultimately make the decision to continue stay there for their own agenda or personal gain! It is obvious CKS doesn't want to continue the "tradition", for good reason(s)!!!!!!!

• Options
    amacdad101amacdad101 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This should have been history, YEARS ago....not a "fair" thing or an "equitable" thing or even an "neutral" thing.....It should be a home and home...EVERY year.....and if you want a neutral site game.....go to a Bowl Game or make it to the Final 4. Georgia football as well as all the fans, have been at a disadvantage every year this game is played in Jax Fl. I understand the "tradition" of the past....but their is a reason that its called the PAST.....end this now and start a new one....play in Athens or Gainesville!!!

• Options
    Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can we stop talking about moving the game now?

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

When both Kirby and Steve Spurrier agree it is an advantage for Florida, maybe the administration should pay attention? That is if they really care about winning a national championship.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please quit whining that we can't win a NC because we play a game in Jacksonville every year. That's crap. Florida has won three, count 'em, THREE NC since we won one back in 1980, playing every year in Jacksonville. So you say that's because Florida has an advantage. OK, so Oklahoma plays in Dallas, Texas EVERY year, yet somehow they manage to contend for a National Championship almost every year. It ain't about where you play 'em, boys and girls, but HOW you play 'em. If not, then what we're saying is that we can only contend for a Natty when we play the Gators in Athens. The other years, not so much. That's ridiculous. Leave the game alone which, as I predicted, they would do if Jax came up with enough $$$$ to keep it there. It appears they will.

And for those folks lamenting that "it's all about the money," get a grip. It's ALWAYS and FOREVER WILL BE, about the money. The main reason the University of Georgia (or any other big-time university) has an athletic department, football included, is because of the money. It ain't for our entertainment or to give our young men and women exercise opportunities. It's the money. Take the athletics away and our beloved university will cease to exist as we know it because ain't none of us got enough $$$ to support it.

And that's why making a few extra bucks for playing Jacksonville is so important to BOTH UF and UGA (but probably more important to UGA). If Kirby was the athletic director instead of the coach, he'd be singing an entirely different tune.