Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Good Call - Bad Call? Runner interference last night?

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I say good call. The rules are clear.

Comments

• UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was a very close call that was probably against the letter of the rule. However, in that situation, it should not have been called.

Definitely not Holbrook’s worst postseason call.

• SOWEGA_DAWGSOWEGA_DAWG Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

I can see both sides on this call. The rule is implemented so that there is no zip zap patterns ran by the base runner. Turner stayed true to his line even though he was flirting with the 3 ft rule. He did make a move to the middle of the bag which in my opinion is okay, but that is also the point at which contact was made. The first baseman did a great job in making sure there was solid contact occurring at the time of the ball heading in his direction even though the contact was towards the back of his thigh/hamstrings which tells me Turner was already past him. 100% judgement call, but I would have liked the umpire 5 feet away make the call rather than the one 90 feet away.

The review time for something that is not review-able was bogus and must be fixed.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rule is ****, and therefore opens up this type of argument/crap anytime this situation comes up. Like Turner said, the batter's box is partially in fair territory and the base is in fair territory. The rule requires a runner on a bang-bang play to NOT RUN IN A STRAIT LINE, then, at the last minute, to lunge back to his left to hit the bag...

There is a reason why fast-pitch softball has a double-bag at first. It completely eliminates any reason for the runner to be in fair territory. It gives a straight-line path to first, greatly reduces the chance for contact with the first baseman, and makes this an EASY, REVIEWABLE call that does not require JUDGEMENT from guys who think an infield fly applies to a ball 100 ft into left field.

But, a double-bag "looks funny" at first, and heaven forbid we make a change that would make a baseball field look funny for safety and simplicity sake (even though most fields look like an industrial fishing boat just barfed up its nets on it to protect fans from foul balls...)

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The runner knocked the glove off of the hand of the first baseman with his leg, while in fair territory.

D.umb rule? There has to be a limit somewhere. Would you allow the runner to run on the grass? The only time the bag being in fair territory matters is on a throw from the catcher standing on home plate. That was not the case. The issue was not that the ball hit the runner. The issue was that the runner ran into the fielder.

Good call. Appropriate call.

• kwgalpinkwgalpin Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't understand why baseball hasn't implemented the safety bag like softball. Will eliminate this all together and prevent injuries like what happened to Tim Hudson to pretty much end his career.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a baseball lifer, all I can say is the runner is called safe on that play 99% of the time. There's no obvious intent to interfere with the throw here. Turner's barely inside the line and it's just a bad throw by the pitcher. He has to throw inside the bag there, but he rushed a bit, threw side arm, and the ball tailed over the bag.

Reasonable folks can argue over how it "should" be called. But that's how it is and always has been called.

edited October 2019

Slow to evolve. I’m not sure the double bag wouldn’t result in more injuries. Female softball players aren’t running at the rate of speed of a male. Slow to change has to do with the DH rule. It can’t be undone

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The rule is what it is but it’s never called and should not have been last night.

• 1970Dawg1970Dawg Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That call looked so bad I almost felt bad for the Nats......then I didn't.

Kinda like when I see Mullen say something so **** that I wanna feel bad for him......but I don't.

Gimme some Gator Tears!!

edited October 2019

Anybody still watching? Wasn't sure if we had a dedicated WS thread so figured I'd bump this one. Great series. Still hoping the 'Stros pull it out!

EDIT: For the record, I always, ALWAYS, root for the NL team over the AL team, but this year is different. First, the Astros were originally an NL team and the Senators were an AL team. Second, oh never mind the second.

Wow. Terrible called third strike on Correa. Can't call that as home plate umpire. Not a fair call. Not close.

Ugh. Oh well. Congrats to Washington and their fans. Tip of the cap.

How often do you see the runner knock the Fielders glove off? That gets called.