Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The case for and against Georgia as the best one-loss team as College Football Playoff rankings debu

2»

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GBAL , why should't the conference champs from the Power 5 conferences get an automatic bid in an 8-team playoff? I think that's only fair. If we're saying that one of the Power 5 conferences has a weaker schedule than the other, then we should just quit saying "Power 5" and go with "Power 4" or "Power 3" or whatever. I hate that before the season starts, we automatically downgrade the level of play in some conference. If that's what we really think, then just let the national championship be open to the "Big Boys" and let everyone else go elsewhere. If an SMU, or App State or Houston can't even play for a championship, then let's not even bother to rank them in the polls? Why? Because if they get ranked, theoretically they could rise to #1. But the rules have already declared that they can't play for the National Championship. That's not fair -- "You're the #1 team in the country, but oh well, here's your ticket to a New Year's Day Bowl. Thank you." I say, bring on the 8-team playoff, with all 5 Power 5 conference champs getting automatic bids, then the three best remaining teams. If the Power 5 teams really are the best, as they say, then one of them should win the championship. It's really pretty simple and the only reason that it's NOT done this way is to preserve this antiquated bowl system (and the money behind it) because the more teams in the playoffs, the more teams who will be disappointed about missing the playoffs, and the fans of those teams will be less enthusiastic about going to a bowl game knowing that they narrowly missed out on a chance at the playoffs.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

In most years, a simple 4-team playoff will never determine a true Champion. You will never be able to have all 5 Power Conferences in there much less a strong non-Power 5 contender that could be as good or better than one of the 'picked' Top 4 teams. When you have obvious discrepancies between the strength of each conference, and therefore the competition that teams play against (think how weak the ACC is and yet I bet Clemson will get in as long as they win out), you will never be able to have a fair playoff.

Expect this unfair playoff madness to continue until at least 2026 when ESPN renews its contract. I doubt anything will change before then.