Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs fans get a feeling of déjà vu as defense, Swift continue to carry the load

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageDawgs fans get a feeling of déjà vu as defense, Swift continue to carry the load

It was the same old same old for Kirby Smart’s Dawgs Saturday in Athens: Georgia’s stellar defense played magnificently for most of the game, while the talented offense continued sputtering along like a race car whose fuel line is blocked. Eventually, as the defense tired, the opponent got back into the game, an

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TfbTfb Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Kirby, let's walk the walk and not talk the talk. Do something to improve the offense.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This team needs a team outing like richt used to do at the pool. I think they are playing too tight and over analyzing. Fromm is best when he doesn’t do all the window dressing.

Lets use this week to get healthy, relax, and get ready to have fun whipping some nerds this Saturday!

Im going to make a statement and take it for what it is, but if this team plays to it’s potential we beat LSU by a touchdown. For any of the doubters, please tell me when we’ve put together a game where we’ve played to 90% of our potential.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Potential...interesting term. What is the measure of UGA potential? We see talent and ratings and assign potential....including films. Is this present UGA OL not playing up to its potential because of coaching? What is UGA's offensive potential? Forty pts a game, 30? More than 6? Against which defenses? I believe potential is a perception of conflating factors. It appears UGA offense is not measuring up to the perception assigned the measured talent of each player...1-5 stars...injuries notwithstanding. Then coaching takes over doesn't it. I am only making a point not psychoanalyzing the team. If we are at the terminus of the regular season and still looking for potential to be met...what then? I felt UGA performed well offensively against Florida....given my perception of potential of this year's team...measured against previous outings overall. I understand why we still view UGA offense as not quite being there yet. Injuries for one major thing. Ergo, has UGA reached its potential and we just don't see it? Is there more they can produce against LSU? From whom? Style of coaching, as I see it, is a major factor in realizing potential. To me potential has always been a mysterious term. Sort of subjective. All of those 5-Star athletes and no more than 7 pt margin against the better teams. This is perception of potential as far as I can see. How many games does it take to reach the level of our perception? Just musing.

Maybe Vetdawg is right......off to the pool to just chill out. Unthink everything. The coaches are playing it too tight..the players respond to the style of the coaching staff....whether they like it or not.

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Texas A&M had a linebacker following the running back on every play. They know Jake is not going to run the ball. If not for the superior talent of our running backs and powerful offensive line, we would not had any running game. I know we can't take a chance on Jake getting hurt but we have to let him carry the ball enough to keep the defense honest.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is Fromm spooked by the success Fields is having at Ohio State? Does he see the repeated multi-touchdown games Fields has in those noon kickoffs the Buckeyes always play? Does Fromm see speculation that Fields will be invited to New York and finish 2nd in the Heisman voting?

Is Fromm trying too hard, trying to live up to earlier expectations that he’ll leave after his junior year and be a high-round draft pick?

Fromm was magical in 2017, out-dueling Baker Mayfield in the Rose Bowl.

Was that because he was just a freshman, playing with house money, feeling no pressure?

What in the world is going on?

Maybe he’ll play lights out over the rest of the season and lead UGA to the promised land.

Go Dogs. And go Jake Fromm.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s not puzzling that Fromm has regressed, Bill, because our OC is incompetent. Our receivers coach evidently can’t coach th to get separation and catch the ball, either. Most of us were upset with Chaney’s play calling but I’m sure most of us would take him back. It’s a good thing our defense is taking up the slack now. 21 points or 4 FGs and one TD won’t be enough to beat Lsu. Maybe Fromm will walk into Smart’s office and tell him if he wants him back for his senior season, get rid of Coley. Fromm isn’t the problem, it’s the coaching of him that is the problem.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best RB in the country, or one of them no doubt, and yet with all the 5 star offensive linemen we can't seem to knock guys off the line of scrimmage on any consistent basis. Guys are massive but so what, give me the little train that could. Offensive line is a huge let down IMO. Jake really can't even use the play fake, that works when you're moving it on the ground. Aggies have better receivers than ours, but LSU's are unmatched outside of BAMA's. And when our receivers do break open, Jake either missed them or threw to a guy covered when he had a guy open on the other side of the field. We must play from the lead to have any chance against LSU, and we must find the "put them away mindset.' Haven't seen it yet.

P.S. UGA's offensive woes are going to make Hot Rod a lot of money soon.

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every week we hear "...we have to improve on offense." Have we? Trite statements will not defeat an opponent such as LSU, much less, the others we would have to defeat to earn the Natty. I'm not a football coach nor have I ever been. But, in practicality, the solution will have to be real and convincing to the players, whom I'm sure have concerns about it as well.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

opposing teams are putting 22 people in the box plus the mascot is back deep and we run right into it every down...... Now why are we doing this coach? Has Fromm taken a step back because he just isn't there. But to be honest he has never been a trigger puller QB we have always had that running game to do the dirty work for us. Well we have two weeks before its........next year.....Put up or shut up guys the playoffs are here! Talk about it pray about laugh or cry about it but fix it and fix it now so we can win the national championship THIS YEAR!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Coley is a big part of the problem, but I do NOT want Chaney back, either. This really is the same offense Chaney ran, WITHOUT Mecole Hardman, Isaac Nauta, J.J. Hollomanm, Elijah Holyfield or Terry Godwin. The problem is, Coley has to account for those missing pieces and, in my opinion, he has not. Combine that with Jake Fromm's obvious regression as QB, plus an O-Line that, for whatever reason, is not playing anywhere near the level that was expected, and we have an offense that is simply underwhelming. At this point, I just don't think the offense will do any better, so we'll have to pray that our offense CAN take it up another level. Yes, I know they're already an elite squad, but if they can just give a little bit more, maybe we can sneak past LSU and into the CFP. It's about the only chance we have. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

All of this hype and talent ....and this team is headed to the Orange Citrus Bowl.....dang.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Some of Dawgnation finding it hard too accept the reality of State Fromm, others are blaming coaching, but the real question is what happens next year?

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The performance of this team reminds me of 1980. The fan reaction does not. That team struggled offensively where the offense was "give the ball to Herschel". The defense carried the team to a National Title (in case anyone doesn't remember). Our quarterback completed only 1 pass in the NC game. The defense bent but did not break. I don't remember much fan grousing from that year, granted the internet was present and Dawgnation wasn't around. I love winning, **** or pretty. The alternative is always ****. Please, let's appreciate what we have while we have it.

• Options
    RollDogRollDog Posts: 38 ✭✭ Sophomore

Hi Bill, since you brought it up I’ll affirm by saying a hearty “I agree.” The QB development at UGA under Kirby is simply not that good. It’s sufficient, but not good. Fromm has clearly regressed this season. He cannot blame it on Fields looking over his shoulder this season. Is it Fromm himself, his (lack of) coaching, Kirby simply not seeing the obvious? What?

After the third game last season, a reporter asked Kirby what the plan is for using/developing Fields. Kirbys response: “we don’t have a plan.” Well Kirby, you should’ve had a plan then and it’s obvious you don’t have a QB plan today.

We’re recruiting major talent for the WR and TE spots for the future but who will get the ball to them? Seriously-who? Let’s all admit it that as good as Kirby is at recruiting, his QB decisions have been sub-par this far.

I live in the Harrison High School district. Both our sons attended HHS. We saw both Justin Fields AND Trevor Lawrence play in HS. Both from GA yet we have neither for the future. We did have one but Kirby “didn’t have a plan.”

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"That team struggled offensively where the offense was "give the ball to Herschel". The defense carried the team to a National Title (in case anyone doesn't remember)"

You have selective memory. That 1980 team averaged right at 30 points per game. about 8 points per game better than Notre Dame. I seem to remember Notre Dame having a significant size advantage along the trenches. It was a defensive struggle and Walker pretty much was the deciding factor along with that junkyard defense. But it was a different game back then. You're comparing apples to oranges.

The angst here is that LSU is averaging over 50 points per game or there abouts. Or in other words more than twice as many as Notre Dame in 1980.