Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football, the New England Patriots and winning with a struggling offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football, the New England Patriots and winning with a struggling offense

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football, the New England Patriots and winning with a struggling offense Fans are upset. A once capable

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I don’t understand. We go conservative on offense, especially late in games when we have a lead and Kirby says we have to be able to stomp on peoples throat when we get them down. Also, Kirby says we give up a pace drive or rhythmic drive where somebody gets on rhythm. However, we go from man coverage to zone (I grew up with the term prevent defense) and more times than not it allows an offense to move right down the field on and get back into the game. Look no further than the Auburn game. Another five minutes in that game and we may have been looking at overtime. Kirby, I love you man and what you are doing for this program,, I really do, but I’m often confused by your choice of words. To hell with Tech! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I understand it a true prevent defense is different from the soft zone we're turning to. I don't understand the same things you don't understand, but, hey, we're winning.

We mostly need to execute a lot better.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I live in Boston, and it's funny that this article popped up because I've been thinking of these very same parallels - especially since the two very similar games this past weekend. A couple of significant differences: Fromm doesn't have someone like Edelman that he can depend on when he absolutely needs a first down. And the Patriots placekicker right now (Folk) is not as good as Hot Rod!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the past 7 games we played 2 games in monsoons and the other 5 games the opponents had 2 weeks off to rest and prepare for Fromm and our offense. Also, 5 of those teams are in the top 25 defenses (3 in the top 20). When Cager went down against South Carolina we also had Kearis Jackson (also a starter in our first game) out with a broken hand. That meant Fromm was without his 5 best wide receivers from last season and 2 starters from this season. Throw-in the loss of Nauta and that means we were missing 8 productive receivers from last season. I wonder how Joe Burrow, Trevor and Tua would perform under similar circumstances. I wish everyone would get off Fromm’s case and realize he is dealing with a ton of crazy circumstances and is not making mistakes (except against S.C.) or excuses. He’s an extraordinary leader and I hope he comes back next year. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a lifelong Falcons fan, but I cheer for the Patriots in part because of the way they drafted Michel, Wynn, etc.

The Falcons' front office is abysmal, and for whatever reason, they won't get UGA players. To think that the Falcons could have had Chubb...who, by the way, I feel sorry for what he's having to endure in Cleveland.

Anyway, I guess players all go through phases. I guess maybe Cager is Fromm's Edelman, in a way. I hate it that the TEs just aren't being used, and if they're not being used, I'm afraid that we won't attract top talent...don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but that seems obvious to me.

Rodrigo is certainly going to be missed, but IIRC, the kid we have signed up, looks like he's got a lot of potential.

Hey, maybe the Pats will add Rodrigo! I like that thought very much!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you're missing the point @BubbaBill. Most of us still love Jake Fromm and are pulling for him. We realize his top receivers from a year ago are gone, but there's more to his ineptitude this year than that. He's flat MISSING passes to receivers that do get open. He's not seeing open receivers that he could make easy throws to. He's calling bad plays (see final drive against A&M). He's taking sacks (not many, but a couple) when he should have thrown the ball away. Those are all things that Fromm could correct on his own and, more bewildering, that he didn't do the past two years when he had LESS EXPERIENCE than he does now. That is why both he and his coach keep saying that he has to do better, that he can't keep missing those throws. They realize that he is not playing as well as he should, so it's not just us crazy fans who are on his case. The question that I wish someone would ask Jake, though, is WHY has he regressed? Are the departed receivers making that much difference? Are the defenses confusing him more this year? Is something going on off the field (good or bad) that has him distracted or concerned and is affecting his game? I'm just wondering because most guys don't go backwards in their third year as a starter. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You guys are good. Great analyses. We have an offense EVERYBODY refers to as "frustrated." They don't "****" as some ascribe but some say lost their "mojo." Whatever that means. And yet even others state "we're still winning." Winning? Yes. Smart pounces on that one......"we're not stomping on their necks." Have you mentioned that to Coley, Coach Smart? I am not here to excoriate Coley. Lord knows, enough people have been on his back...he is a promotee of Kirby's from old Miami days back in 2016. He now runs the offense and QB. One commenter suggests we have been decimated in our receiver ranks. True. Cager is THE starter receiver for UGA and he has been on the injured list for several games. Fromm's go-to guy. Pickens has been decent at the post. Saved one or more of our "closer" contests. Swift is a juggernaut at RB...the best in college football. Herrien is no slouch. So what is it? It is all of these combined...IMO. That plus a defense we actually rely on to win games...that and Hot Rod, who I swear could boot that thing 100 yds through the uprights. How does UGA fix this flagging offense? Don't laugh...more dry days so Fromm can get a grip. Seriously. He is a good field marshal. Ciphers defenses effectively. Can move out of the pocket if needed. But is he hamstrung by Foley a lot who likes to run up the gut? This exposes far too many 3rd and long situations. Swift has pointed this out to Fromm as replays show us. Fromm is given latitude to change plays. He should. Some feel Fromm's arm is suspect. Fromm is not the old hang one high and long he used to be. Could be? Kirby is a wear them down type of coach...one known to rely on defense to win games or enable UGA to win...odd. I do not believe the Patriots rely on defense to win games but to enable their offense to score. This is getting too lengthy. On a dry day Fromm is pretty good. Let's hope for a dry day this Sat. against the insects. UGA should score and score and score. LSU is for another post. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DallasDawg, I've said in several threads that I've wondered about Fromm's major being more of a thing than he thought it would be. Since Fromm is a Junior, unless he had summer classes, I believe this would be his first full semester taking classes at Terry College of Business. He is still listed as a Finance major, and that is a much more difficult major than a lot of others.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but I really think that if Fromm is the perfectionist I think he is, he is devoting a lot of effort to his classes. If he was going to declare early, I think he would have changed his major to something easier.

I've also wondered if he's really missing Lamont Gaillard. The first time I thought about this was the SCAR game.

Maybe it's several things that all together really have gotten him out of a groove.

Speaking of a groove. The Ravens absolutely demolished the Rams on MNF...I was shocked!

BTW, this weekend...I'm pulling for Alabama to lose to the barn, and the Aggies to surprise Burro and the Tigas. So I'm an optimist!

• Options
    NewEnglandDawgNewEnglandDawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Looks like somebody was reading our Boston Dawg Blawg! The same thing was mentioned in the post-Auburn blawg last week. It really is like watching the same teams on Saturday and Sunday.