Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Georgia football is getting in new offensive line coach Matt Luke

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageWhat Georgia football is getting in new offensive line coach Matt Luke

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. What Georgia football is getting new offensive line coach Matt Luke There was a case to be made that no position

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tuesday was supposed to be the day SC announced the approval of a contract with Bobo. Bobo reportedly did leave the door open to having a "change of heart." I haven't seen an announcement. Any word?

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can't think of a better person for OL coach. Might be one but, outside of Pittman, I haven't seen any better credentials.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is an important hire. Thumbs up from me. Looks like a Luke will be a strong edition to the coaching staff.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coming into this season I was convinced Georgia would have a top - 3 O-line, and likely the best in CFB. Despite all the recruiting success with Pittman, it didn't work out that way.

Pittman's line under performed. Was he distracted because of wanting a HC position? Was it because Pittman has been somewhat overrated as a teacher of the craft?

It will be interesting to see what coach Luke does with the talent he's inheriting. I think it's safe to say, he will have more talent and depth than he has ever had before.

This could be the best thing possible for UGA. You know Luke is coming in with a chip on his shoulder after the way he was treated.

Something was missing with the O-line this year. Luke may even prove to be an upgrade over Pittman.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love this hire.....great job Kirby. I also agree with many comments regarding Pittman. He’s an incredible recruiter and fun guy, but I think he’s mediocre as an on field coach.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

all that talent on the o-line and couldn't dominate

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok so South Carolina's offense just got better, now what about ours? Maintain the status quo? Nothing to see here so move along?

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's great to hear that people seem to have a positive opinion on Luke. Commenters seem to be pretty spot-on. They were excited about Smart and he's delivered. They indicated Pittman was a serious recruiter and he was. They thought Chaney was "so-so" and he was. They weren't really excited about Coley and, uh, yeah.

I guess I would've preferred that he be hired as the OC and drop Coley back down, but I guess you need a dedicated guy for the OL.

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bottom line is Pittman recruited a lot of 4 & 5 star guys & the O-line under-performed bigly. There's 3 possible answers; 1) the players he recruited were over-ranked/over-rated; 2) Pittman wasn't a very good hands-on coach; 3) the linemen are too big;

What do I mean by too big? The word 'offense' means the 'aggressor', associated with 'aggressive attack', meaning they are supposed to dictate where the play is going on a run play, opening holes based on the design of the play. If the D-lineman is smaller but quicker, it means the D-lineman is getting to the hole faster than the O-lineman, which means the O-lineman can, at this point, only react.

I'm curious to see if the O-line does better at run-blocking next season.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Matt Luke brings a healthy maturity to the offensive slot. Loads of profitable experience...he will replace the Pit-Man easily. I believe Matt will tell Kirby like it is. He has head coaching experience and KNOWS UGA's one-dimensional push will NOT work. This will be beneficial advice for the overall future of UGA's program.....absolutely. Coley could pick up some pointers from Matt as well...! Here's hoping they have ears to hear....GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope the plan is to promote Matt Luke to OC before next season and allow him to run the offense as he sees fit. This will give recruits confidence that Kirby is serious about upgrading the offense to compete at a high level.