Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Georgia RB James Cook confident 'things are going to get better'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH: Georgia RB James Cook confident 'things are going to get better'

Georgia sophomore tailback James Cook expanded his skillset playing receiver as well as running back for the Bulldogs and is expected to have a much larger role next season

Read the full story here

Comments

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hopefully we'll see much more of Cook during the bowl game. He needs to be a meaningful tool in our option and not a throwaway player as he has been to date.

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Malpractice on the part of the coaching staff not to have utilized Cook more this season.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad to see Mr Cook is keeping an upbeat attitude. No more than he was utilized this season, I wasn't going to be shocked to see he entered the transfer portal. Keep on keeping on young man, your time to shine is coming..GoDAWGS!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have two ideas for the Dawgnation staff to research:

1. Has there been any regression or other problematic note in Fromm’s mechanics this season? I’ve seen that take a few times but I’m not sure if it’s something borne out by game tape.
    2. Was there any change in the kinds of passes (route, distance, etc) Jake was throwing this season? This would be a season-numbers comparison of this year to last year or early season to late season this year. I’m wondering if Jake was wanting to showcase a different aspect of his skill set and perhaps more often took shots at longer passes or passes that were somehow different from what he had been throwing. I have nothing to back this up; it’s just something I’m curious about.

I’ll also say that I’m not putting this season’s offensive woes on Jake, and that I’m well aware of our injuries, losses in the receiving corps, dropped balls, etc. These questions are just something I’m curious about at the close of the regular season.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A weapon that this staff can't even use right.. go find us a coordinator and bring in some new minds and revamp our system, we have weapons but we can't just keep running the ball up the middle. And find us another quarterback because something is wrong with the one we have.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe now, during the bowl game, we’ll see if Coley has any imagination to his play calling other than Swift up the gut 8-10 plays a game. He cannot send a 5-11, 198 pound Cook up the gut and expect it to succeed. I just can’t understand how it is so hard to get Cook out on the edge with a couple of road graders in front of him and allow him to use his speed and quickness to pick up chunks of yardage. We’re watching Coley. Dazzle us! Go Dawgs!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I for one am impressed. Cook has the right attitude to be successful at every endeavor. I am glad he is at UGA. If he has a breakout season in 2020, he will be drafted thereafter.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

James Cook has the attitude of a winner! He will shine as a true Dawg! Yes, he will get many more touches next season...remember, no more Swift or Herrien. The backfield is depleted. I think next season will be a transitional season. New OL coach and maybe, just maybe, more emphasis on the passing attack as an integral part of an overall football game plan. Smart may not admit this but ..don't shoot the messenger...I do not see an 11-game win next year. The SEC is on to UGA....one dimensional for all intents and purposes. Weaker QB for some reason if Fromm stays put?? One decent to top performing wide receiver. The commits may help in that regard...but the good ones opted out of UGA. I guess I am preparing myself for the worst. No, I am not a fatalist. Realist. A great defense cannot sustain a winning season ad infinitum. You have to score TDs IN THE BIG GAMES to be great. LSU proved it. The coaching must improve that is how I see it. It amazed me how UGA did so well this season. I am a Dawg forever.....so GO DAWGS!!!

• williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Well James, you just changed the course of my comments. I guess I'll save the re-Ray Goff era for later.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My mind must be slipping. Please remind me of the years in the Goff era where the team had two 11 win seasons and a 13 win season.

We'll 66, my bet is your realist mind didn't see an 11 win season this year after the loss to Texas. Like you, I don't see 11 wins next year either! I see Bama without Tua and at least three of his four All-American receivers and LSU without their Heisman winning QB. Unlike you, I see at least 11, maybe 12, 13, 14, and maybe 15 wins.

• Jaydawg67Jaydawg67 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

I have trashed coley all season. However I saw little problem with the game plan against lsu. In fact I thought coley called several good games in our biggest games. Florida and auburn to be specific. You did see a conservative 4th quarter but that I imagine was from the head ball coach. Execution was to blame mostly. If I have one gripe it is that Jake seems to be missing some fundamental mechanics coaching. I bet even big Jim in Tennessee would confirm he was handcuffed at times by CKS philosophy. I hope he learns. Goshdawg I hope he learns. The gap is closing.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just my opinion, gang. Coley, I agree, offered a better offense against LSU. Execution is what we all agree on. That did not happen with LSU. WHY? Fromm? He is the point man? Receiver missed easy and hard throws.??? Just sayin'. Coley needs to be consistent and needs to better coach Fromm somehow....Luke will help in this area.

Hey ShoottheHooch, you said you agreed with less than 11 game win next season and then ended saying up to 15 wins..;.lolol What kind of "Hooch" you on...just kidding. I agree.

edited December 2019

I didn't agree with you in this case. To clarify, 66, I said I don't see 11 wins; I see "...at least 11, maybe 12, 13, 14, and maybe 15 wins."

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

This kid looks like an incredible talent and we keep hearing about how much he impresses his coaches and teammates in practice.

So why does he so rarely touch the ball?

And on a side note, can someone PLEASE explain to me why about half of our snaps involve some sort or "read option" by Fromm?! (ESPECIALLY WITH AN INJURED ANKLE!?!?!?)

If I was playing Madden against a competitor who repeatedly ran read-options with Roethlisberger, I would assume, correctly, that he has no earthly idea what he is doing.

So why does our million-dollar-a-year OC do the same thing? Am I taking crazy pills?!

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

And do you know why the safety blitz worked so well and Jake was sacked hard and injured? Because he was under center on that play, and everyone on earth knew because he was under center it was either a run play or play-action (and almost 100% certainly play-action. When Coley wants to run, we're in shotgun and Fromm fakes the option).

Well, it was play-action, alright. You really fooled 'em, Coley, as usual.