Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Junkyard Mail: Bulldog Nation wasn’t a very happy place this week

2»

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh good grief. I swear some of our fans have the memory of a fish.

How many yards and PPG did our "stodgy" offense have last year again? And the year before that?

I might just have to ignore it all until spring ball.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still think we have a pass blocking O line with a run first offense.

I also think we keep running these RPO's without any threat of a QB run. THAT is the only mistake I take serious grief with. Fromm needs to start running some of those or just stop with the wasted motion.

But none of that matters when you lose 8-9 WRs from your roster the year before like we did this year. Just dumb bad luck. And we still won our division! Sky ain't falling folks.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone with any type of football knowledge should be able to recognize that Fromm’s problems this year has been coaching. A player with his experience and success should NOT have a year like he had. Evidently the receivers coach isn’t up to par either if by the end of the year, the departed receivers were still being used as an excuse. Coley should have went to a&m 2 years ago or at least gone with Pittman to Arkansas. Then Kirby could have gotten Bobo to be OC. Kirby has to stop being stubborn and open up the offense. At the very least, run the 2 minute drill the whole game. It was usually successful. Go Dawgs!!

Merry Christmas!!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Our offensive woes were and potentially still are a combination of Kirby being stubborn to change and a lack of coaching and more important as you wrote a total lack of imagination in the scheming and play calling. Not to late to fix that but a lot more focus needs to be put on the offensive development.

Your reference to Andy Johnson brings back some great memories. My family was from Gainesville "Georgia" with the great head coach Bobby Gruhn leading the Red Elephants. I remember a couple of playoff games against Clarke Central with Johnson as the QB . Don't believe we ever beat them. Thanks for the memories.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

receivers run routes and catch balls(or don't) -- QB's throw balls and hit the receiver or under/overthrow/lead them to much or too little

receivers make adjustments and/ or fight for the ball , not coaches, Qb's , not coaches, throw the ball

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not throwing anyone under the bus. Coaches can do all they can, but if a ball hits a receiver in his hands and it pops out for an interception is it the coaches fault? If Jake has DROB running down the middle of the field for an easy score and he under throws him, is it Kirby's fault?

Would better coaching make him a more accurate passer or have a stronger arm? If the OC coaches harder will that make the receivers run faster, jump higher, and catch a pass with a defender draped on him? My point is it's a combination of coaches doing better as in divising schemes, blitzes, routes to provide the best opportunities for the players.

I've been a pretty harsh critic of our OC, but at the same time everyone(maybe not you) knows that a few more catches and a few more accurate throws would have made Coley look much better as a coach. Players make coaches look good ,more than the coach makes the player look good. But it shouldn't be one way or the other. I'm not sold on Coley, but I'm also not blind as to the under performance of some of our players.