Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Athens Clarke-County police report details James Cook's traffic stop, charges

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageAthens Clarke-County police report details James Cook's traffic stop, charges

Georgia tailback James Cook was charged with driving without a valid license and having an open alcohol container in his car last Saturday

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Up to Smart, now. A bit more to it than originally reported. I suspect Cook will be disciplined to some extent. Kind of a dumb thing to do. Now he has to go to court. Good thing Shaffer was not charged.

• Options
    Jaydawg67Jaydawg67 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

Yikes. Cognac and a charger! That might be the biggest charge!

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

First, under Georgia Law, drivers must have on their person and present a "valid" driver's license when asked by a LEO. A driver's license is invalid if it has been altered in any way, counterfeit [fake Iicense], not issued to the driver, expired, suspended or revoked. This covers a a lot of territory. There is actually no offense offense labeled invalid license. Each factor as above is a different charge with differing penalties.

While I am quite sure Cook is in violation of team rules, I am not so sure about the law here. Usually, if contraband is claimed by any one passenger, that person alone is charged. I believe Cook is under 21 years but he was not charged for "minor in possession" and could be in this case if it was within reach of Cook. While the laws may have been changed since I retired, I am sure Cook, a minor and diriver would be charged if his blood alcohol even showed any reading, even below .008%.

I suspect he will not make the trip to the Sugar Bowl. Hope he learns the same lesson so many UGA players seem not to learn.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

First of all, driving around in Athens with and expired dealer tag and no license is just plain **** and asking to get taken to jail. Secondly, why does any football player have a 9 mm hand gun at college? It is not against the law to own a gun I know, but the University has a no gun policy and he could be arrested if he had it on campus. I am not sure if Shaffer lives on campus or not, but seriously, nothing good is going to come from him (or anyone else for that matter) packing a Glock around Athens for a Saturday night on the town. I am sure both of these fellas will be getting to visit with Kirby in the coming days and I know he won't be pleased.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Athens police really know how to get the fan base blood boiling. Two misdemeanor charges and i dont blame them for carrying a gun the world is a crazy place these days. Dalvin Cook is his brother a starting NFL RB so he has access to the finer things.Big bottle of cognac ! Somebody was drinking Henn Dawg!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Put the unsealed container in the trunk, kids. That makes it legal. As for the handgun, the expired dealer tag, and the invalid driver's license, that's just poor thinking. If ya wanna drive, get your paperwork in order and leave the gun at home when you come to school. If you are thinking of going somewhere where you might need a gun, pick a different destination!

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Actually the handgun was legal. He wasn't charged with a firearms offense. But yeah, needs to get that DL paperwork in order and not drive with an open container. And learn to do edibles , no smoke! Both of these are just "young and dumb" offenses. Make him run some stadium steps or something. Not that big a deal.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some of the players need a Baby Sitter, and the sitter would go to each player's car or truck to make sure they have a valid tag attached to the vehicle. Then they would ask each player to produce a valid GA or out of state drivers license and valid insurance on the same vehicle they are driving. Then they would be schooled on the perils of smoking marijuana while driving (odor), and also having an unsealed bottle of alcohol in the vehicle. Next explain, don't drive around with a gun. last but not least, tell the players be in by 12 midnight, because Officers of the Law are more likely to find some reason to arrest you when you are out on the town late.