Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia running back D'Andre Swift clears up confusion regarding his 2020 NFL Draft decision

SystemSystem Posts: 10,567 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia running back D'Andre Swift clears up confusion regarding his 2020 NFL Draft decision

While teammates Isaiah Wilson and Andrew Thomas have made their announcements regarding their future plans, Georgia running back D'Andre Swift published a tweet saying he had not yet made up his mind. Swift's tweet did not indicate whether he would be playing in the Sugar Bowl. Thomas said he will not be playing,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta say, he's giving out more thought than I would have assumed. What are the chances he pulls a Chubb/Michel?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Odds are very slim he returns for his senior season. On this same forum, Todd McShay is saying Swift will be first RB drafted. For a guy who couldn't even finish THIS season because of injury, I'm not sure why he would turn down that kind of money to risk even greater injury. I'm just not sure why he's drawing this out. Despite what story headline says, he really didn't clear up anything. He STILL has not said whether he will play in the Sugar Bowl (I'm guessing he won't) or whether he's turning pro (I'm guessing he will). To say that he hasn't made up his mind yet doesn't tell us anything.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, pretty much all the same thoughts here. Just the fact that he won't come out and say he's going it's quite surprising in itself. The only rain I can come up with is that it's harder than the cold hard facts would seem to suggest.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Swift should opt for the NFL now. No use purtting his shoulder through more of the "grind." Forget the Sugar Bowl...no glory there. Already lost one of our best linemen.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think he doesn't want to say. I don't think that he will play, due to still being banged up. But if he says he isn't playing, then why take him. I know this may not be popular, with what the players have given so far to the university. But I don'tthink they should be allowed to travel with the team and get the rewards of being at the Sugar Bowl. Because why take guys that aren't playing, that is roster spots taken and less players you will have that CAN play, and WANT to play. But, Swift is a little different, since he is injured. Shouldn't punish him for that. But both o-lineman shouldn't get to travel. That's just my opinion.

I will say this, I am not expecting a great result in the Sugar Bowl. Too much non caring. Baylor's whole season can be defined just by beating Ga. So for 9 months, everyone can say Big 12 is better than the SEC. I hope I am sooooo wrong. But, will have to wait and see.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with what the old ball coach said on the Finebaum show today. “ I think a player has the right if he wants to protect his future and himself from injury and what those implications may have on his draft stock and skip the bowl. But also as a coach I have the right to do what is best for the future of my ball team and not let them travel with the team”. He went on to say a lot more on the subject but he was clear that he supported their decision but at that point their college football career was over and he needed to use their spot for future players.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGA66 I'm not clear about your comment: "Forget the Sugar Bowl. No glory there." Is that your opinion about the Sugar Bowl in general, or only as it applies to Swift. In the case of Swift potentially sitting out the Bowl Game, I understand it. It's a choice he is entitled to make. If he were to get hurt, it could cost him big time.

On the other hand, if your comment was to "Forget the Sugar Bowl" regardless of Swift, I couldn't disagree more. It matters a lot. To me. And to the coaches and players too. It will be our last game and a chance to finish out on top.

Anyone who would suggest that is elitist and not truly engaged with college football. Ask any one of more than 4000 players playing in their last football game of the year and I'm sure most of them are thrilled at the prospect.

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wish he would come back for final season and if he does opt for the NFL, I hope he plays in the Sugar Bowl. He needs a better outing than LSU for his finale!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sorry but any player that decides not to play in the bowl game should be left at home. They are abandoning their team so the team should leave them at home. If you don’t play, pay your own way.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is absolutely no reason for Swift to play in the bowl unless his shoulder is 100% regardless of his NFL decision. It was obvious he was playing in such pain against LSU that it would have been totally debilitating to us mere mortals!

The thought of DeAndre returning for his senior season makes me giddy with excitement! As impossible as it seems, I believe the OL will be better next year even with the loss of Thomas and Wilson. Hopefully, Luke will bring some imagination to the run blocking scheme. With the big guys pulling and creating numbers at the point of attack, something I didn't see a lot of this season, and Swift running behind them would be a sight to behold!

Like Saban said yesterday, the guys in the media like McShay have zero draft picks available to them. NFL teams hold their cards very close to the vest when it comes to the draft, but they do provide colleges with evaluations. I hope all our juniors make their decisions based on NFL input and not the media's mock drafts.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Go ahead and declare Swift ! Show the recruits and commits that UGA prepares you for the next level ! Go Dawgs !

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to see these guys not play. Most have insurance to protect against serious injury that impacts their draft or career prospects. Additionally, the majority of these guys need to be coming back. I can see solid first & maybe second round picks going but beyond that, stay in school. Of the early departures last year, only Mecole Hardman has had any real playing fine in the NFL. Nauta was practice team all year & just recently dressed. Ridley is the only other player go see the field & at last check had one catch for five yards. Holyfield has not dressed since pre season and the only Senior in the bunch Godwin, has also not dressed. Mecole will be back for KC or somebody next season, but the careers are already on life support for the rest. Another year playing college football may have been significant for these guys. Not listening to NFL grades and greedy dreams of NFL paydays has them all lining up to work at Dick's Sporting Goods. At a time they should be wrapping up their college careers, they are already working on the stories to tell their grandchildren about their heroics on the field and how they almost made it in the NFL.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Last years Junior class that declared has not done so well with the exception of Mecole. Time will tell on this one.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Seems like the implication is that he'll play. ~I'm not going to announce until after I play this last one.~ I'd like to hope that's a solid interpretation. If it is, I don't imagine it's a decision Swift would have made lightly. He knows what a team leader he is, and he knows the potential outcomes all the way around the thing. Here's looking forward to the New Years Day!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ok, I love Swift as much as any true Dawg fan and I want nothing but the best for him and his family; HOWEVER, for him to say "I have not made my decision yet" is for me, insulting. I hope I eat these words... The truth is that he has indeed made his decision and is simply not willing to announce that decision until after the Sugar Bowl. Has there ever been a First Round Junior Running Back to stay for his senior season?

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

ZERO CHANCE. He is a clear first round draft, Chubb and Michel were not at the end of their Junior season.