Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

4-star WR Arian Smith has made his college decision

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love speed and love this "get" for the program but in all honesty, the only speed a WR needs is enough not to be caught by a DB. It's route-running, recognition, and catch technique that matter far more. Now, if Rocket Man can do all that AND run a blue streak down the field after the catch, he will RULE in Athens.

Not to make this too long, but an example, STEVE LARGENT who led the NFL in all time pass receiving when he retired. Some quotes: ''The tag that I was too small and too slow just made me work that much harder,'' said Largent, who still catches more than 200 balls a day, even in the off-season. ''Besides, quickness is more important than flat-out speed. How often does a receiver run 40 yards straight down the field? Not very often. Lateral speed is what counts. How quickly can you get in and out of a cut? I can do that as well as anyone.'' ''A receiver has to do two things: get open and catch the football,'' said Dick Haley, personnel director for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Largent's 40 time? 4.7 seconds. When he retired, he held every record for receptions, receiving yardage, and consecutive games with a reception (177).

So, LOVE the speed. Now, let's get some coaching to go with it and not let the coaching staff (or some players) fall back on the "lack of speed" false choice for lack of success. Maybe ask Julian Edelman (40 time: 4.54) for some pointers about getting open in the passing game.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope he has better hands than the speed WRs we have on the team right now.