Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart: Needs, not geographical preference, led to less in-state signees

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart: Needs, not geographical preference, led to less in-state signees

Georgia coach Kirby Smart says keeping the best players in state is a recruiting priority each year, but the Bulldogs have to meet needs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tank Bigsby !! I think we should of went harder for him but Kendall Milton is a high quality back also !

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

The pressing need this year was for WR and they hit a home run with 4 great athletes. Got a great QB, RB and some great OL too. I don't care where they come from, as long as they fill the need to keep this team elite. Sure, keeping the in-state guys is great, but if there are great players that fill a specific need that are out of state then go get them!

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia has become a national brand to high school players. That's certainly a good thing. Go get the best players to fit your needs, wherever they may be.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are no borders when it comes to recruiting in the age of social networks! Did it matter where Moreno, Gurley, or Michel came from?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, we lost out on Gilbert and Bigsby, but overall, we are tied with Clemson for the top spot in average rating in the 247 composite which is an indicator of the quality of the class. Believe me, the difference in Kirby's top five classes and Richt's top 10 classes could only be measured in light years!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If we get what we need, then the “lock down in-state” argument doesn’t mean too much to me. We shouldn’t spurn interest, and if we can build relationships with in-state high schools, then great. But it’s a big country and I’d prefer to see us fill needs from wherever we can.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I think that the internet (social media) is a major player here in recruiting now. One recruit is from California. The borders have opened up for Kirby as he meets team needs from wherever. Gotta go with that. That said, this same Kirby must also open up the offense and bring it up to date. Modified pro style.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you were a HS elite football player and you took visits to Alabama, Auburn, LSU, UF, Clemson, FSU, UT, etc, and compared facilities to that of what UGA had back then, where would you go?? It wasn't difficult to see which programs around the southeast where serious about trying to win championships and which ones were just OK with 10 wins per season. Even Vandy had an IPF back then. And UGA is STILL playing catch up when compared to the teams that are ranked in front of us. LSU spent 25 million on their locker rooms last year - locker rooms that previously looked just as good as the new ones we have now. If you don't think that impacts a HS player's decision...

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

FEWER in-state signees.

its not “less” if it can be counted.

Thank you.