Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Comings and goings key 3 Georgia football questions for Sugar Bowl practices

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageComings and goings key 3 Georgia football questions for Sugar Bowl practices

Georgia football QB Jake Fromm has seen different faces on the offensive line and at receiver in the huddle from one game to the next all season

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I suppose that by 2025, star players will begin sitting out the last half of the season, to avoid injury?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks to me like a UGA rebuild. Opening these high-star rated players up to the NFL draft while in college is not working so well for the colleges...we're turning out degree-less NFL recruits. I have never been for this. In some instances it cheapens the Bowl games. Just my humble opinion.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The risk of injury is just too great for kids who've received 1st or 2nd round draft grades to ignore just to entertain fans and alumni. It really shouldn't be that tough of a decision if you really consider what's at stake. Most people with advanced degrees and 40 years of experience in their field earn nowhere near 10 million in their life time and if a kid has the opportunity to earn that and more by skipping the bowl game and leaving school early, why even hesitate on making the decision to leave. I believe in education for those who are cut out for college but the end result of a college education is the economic opportunity it provides. If after 3 years of college athletics a kid has the opportunity for economic advancement that does not require a degree, take the money! You can be a DGD with being D___ foolish.

• Options

You can be a DGD without being D_ __ Foolish. Should have proofread my previous post before hitting the Post Comment tab.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree KBP. I’m a huge college football fan and not much of an NFL fan anymore but truth of the matter is, college is about gaining an education to help you gain an advantage in the quality of life you can provide for you and your family through financial means. That does not mean that finances are the tell all measuring stick as to one’s quality of life but it can be a large contributing factor. Getting a top tier NFL contract will in most cases usurp a college degree financially for the average intellectual Joe.

• Options

Well stated Tripp about the benefit of Bowl games. I agree also about taking the kids who really want to prove themselves and not just protect themselves to play in the bowl game. I am very intrigued by McIntosh and I'm looking forward to next year for Zamir when he will be two years removed from his last ACL surgery. With the exception of Adrian Peterson, it appears it takes backs two years to fully recover from ACL surgery. I know it was true for Todd Gurley. He had the ACL in 2014 and in 2016 and 2017 he was arguably the best back in the NFL.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Sincere question here: How many NFL careers have been derailed by a decision to play in the final bowl game? Unless I'm severely underestimating that number, I have a hard time agreeing with the statement, "The risk of injury is just too great."

White and Ojulari came to Georgia on torn ACLs. I believe Gurley's college career ended on one as well.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree. I hope Kirby is using a bit of tough love approach in saying "if you don't plan on giving 100%, let me know now and I will find someone that will"!

• Options

@E_Roc , you have a very valid question and I think the percentage of players who get hurt in the bowl games of their draft year is very low but if it happens to a player, then the risk percentage is no longer very low. It will have been realized and to me, that's not worth it, UNLESS, you're in the playoff. Then take the risk.

Injuries in college rarely derail a NFL career but they definitely derail draft position and as a draftee, that's all you have. There's no guarantee a player will be good enough to get a second contract in the NFL and that makes your draft position all the more valuable. See Jake Butt from Michigan a few years back who was a two time All-American and a projected late first to early second round pick. He tore his ACL and dropped to the 5th round. The difference in guaranteed money between the first two rounds and the 5th round is incomparable.