Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mind Game: Georgia QB D'Wan Mathis overcoming brain surgery, eager to compete

2»

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't believe we are panicking, MontanaDawg. Just throwing around ideas on a replacement. It may sound like panicking but I assure you it is not. As you say, and others as myself have also said, we have four choices (will have with a transfer). I like the taller QBs....they can see over the linemen and survey the field. Bennett is a scrambler but cannot see through the trees in front of him unless back in the shotgun...and then it is often a difficult read for him. Beck is 6' 4" well over 200 lbs, D'Wan is 6'6" but thin and mobile. Fromm was well over 6'. Newman is 6'3' 219 lbs and Costello is 6'3" 205 lbs. A trend emerges. All can scramble if needed or RUN if needed. I have watched their video footage. I think Smart has things well in hand.

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

D'Wan makes the team better even if he never steps on the field! Courage and determination!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

" contemplated leaving UGA in November before the Missouri game. But on second thought, he trusted his father’s judgement and the Georgia coaches’ game plan for him." What? Did this strike a chord with anyone else? After all UGA and its fan base have done for him? We have given him an extremely valuable scholarship and did not rescind it. His father believes "UGA saved his life". And, there is no guarantee he will ever be cleared to play. Do not misunderstand me, I believe he should be allowed to keep the scholarship no matter what his four or five years at UGA look like as a student athlete because that is the right thing to do. However, the fact that he was considering leaving UGA is frankly disappointing unless he was considering leaving because he felt bad about taking up a valuable scholarship spot. I am glad his father was able to give him the needed wisdom in that moment.

I hope Mathis has a full and expeditious recovery and I will be praying for him even if he is never cleared to play. If he never takes a snap, I hope he is able to stay on scholarship. That is what commitment looks like.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think he was referring to this thread (just my impression). I've perused the comments under most of the articles that came out yesterday, and I would say "panicking" is the right word to characterize the bulk of them.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So happy to see that this young man is doing better. That was a scary thing to read about. Keep working hard, and stay positive, D'Wan! If you are wanting to be the starting QB at Georgia, you know what you've got to do. Never doubt yourself. Stay motivated, and keep hustling out there. If you want it more than the other guy(s), then keep working hard like you want it more. It's all up to you!

I am pulling for you, D'Wan! Wishing you all the best.

GO DAWGS!

GO D'WAN!

• Options
    GoodGameGoodGame Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

So you want him at 250? I guess you don't want him running and for him to be a statue in the pocket. You sir have no sense.

You just described Cam Newton. Didn't he have around 1500 yards rushing in 2010?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

God bless you, ltchyZ. That was some ordeal. Good testimony. D'Wan going through the same or similar. He really needs to hold off hard practice until after May.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't written this young man off. Good luck to you Mr. Mathis. I feel like we haven't heard the last from you.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good Luck Mr.Mathis !

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good luck, D'Wan. I admit that I'm surprised, shocked even, that you might be cleared to play. But if the doctors say OK, then go for it and may the best man win.

And for those on this string who seem to be upset that the kid said that he "contemplated" leaving UGA, get over it. He had a cyst removed from his brain, for crying out loud. He probably CONTEMPLATED many things, as we all have in life. Some things we follow through on, some we don't. But things come to our mind. In his situation -- not playing, unsure if he ever would, looking at other guys do the things he loves, I'm sure he couldn't help but be a little down. I don't take it as him being ungrateful or upset with UGA. I think he was just depressed about his situation. His daddy talked to him about staying the course and he did. Justin Fields' daddy talked to him about staying the course when Fields wanted to transfer back to UGA. He stayed the course and look where he and OSU wound up this year. Maybe we'll have a similar outcome with D'Wan. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I watched Bennett quite a few times in high school myself and he was a really good qb. When he was over at JUCO he was good Qb that was elusive but the knock against him was he to often tried to put the ball in tight spaces creating a TD to Int ratio that was horrific at 16 td’s to 14 int’s. Tied for 2nd most for JUCO QB’s that year. He had a decent completion percentage at 56% and a 125.2 passer rating but once he goes up against some of these SEC db’s, I think that ratio may even get worse. I like Stetson but I’m not sure he has what it takes to lead the Dawgs to their goal in the SEC.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Doubtful you know a whole lot about football...and nothing about math....Where do you get 250 from?