Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tennessee announces addition of former Georgia OL Cade Mays

2»

Comments

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s just football. People should be able to play where they want, with some sense of good order and discipline. I’m thankful for the time he gave UGA and wish him the best at UT. The only positive I have to say about Tom Mars is that he is doing a good job at what he does. You can’t deny he’s very effective, although maybe void of ethics. But that’s why people hire him. I’m sure he’ll be laughing all the way to the bank with 50% of the decision.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

Oh no, another brick in our "great wall" is gone?

Personally, I'm thriiled. He was useless at blocking and was responsible for more sacks than the rest of the line.. And he was versatile which means he was useless in more than one position. So, when we go against tennessee we can count on a few sacks and single digit rushing yards.

This was a good move all the way around. He's going to tennessee, where his dad tells him he'll be number 1. Or maybe number 1/2.

• Options
    Paladin33Paladin33 Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Tom Mars had the story leaked so he can use it as a tactic to get Cade Mays eligible right away. Think about it. He will simply say that it became uncomfortable for Cade to remain at UGA because of the the pending lawsuit. Just think about it and look at the time table of the breaking story. You have to hand to him. It's a pretty clever.

• Options
    Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Cant be mad at cade sounds like is dad probably pushed him to to go to floppy top where his brother is. Oh and where he is a donor. Kinda fishy

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Searching through the internet for details of Kevin Mays' accident, I found that Kevin Mays required substantial medical care for his hand when he returned to Knoxville. The law suit which I found on the internet, identified that medical cost as $17,000. Did UGA offer to pay for his treatment after he returned to Knoxville? The point of my question is: Did UGA realize there was a major issue with the Mays family? Did this issue become nuclear because UGA failed to seek a settlement with Kevin Mays? Let me be clear, I am a UGA graduate and fan, and I as many UGA fans initially saw this law suit/transfer issue as being orchestrated by the Mays family to allow Cade to play immediately at UT. The following are facts that create doubts in my mind as to what really led to this disaster. First, the law suit was filed before Sam Pitman accepted the Arkansas job. So the timing of the suit does not support Cade's request to transfer and play immediately. Second, Cade did not publicly express any dissatisfaction with his role on the team. In fact he mentioned that he was trying to lead the remaining offense lineman. Third, attorney Tom Mars in a blistering press release blamed UGA for continuing to take the low in this matter with the Mays family. When first reading the Mars comments, I focused on the word "continuing" which implied that there was more involved than UGA supposedly releasing information about the law suit. That is the reason my question. What had happened previously between UGA and the Mays family?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@chilidawg1 you ask sound and reasonable questions to which I don't have the answers. Like you, I'm going to save my vitriol for Cade Mays and his family. As I said about Justin Fields when he transferred and so many voiced anger at him, my position was, he's no longer a Georgia Bulldog, he doesn't matter. I feel much the same way about Cade Mays except that he will be going to an SEC division rival. But in the long run, Georgia will survive. I do have a sneaking suspicion this isn't what Cade wanted, but he's doing it for his dad and his brother. If that floats your boat, then so be it.

I'm on to figuring out if we can keep Broderick Jones committed and get him signed on Feb. 5 (I don't believe he's going to go anywhere else, but I don't like the fact that he's taking a look around, either). And then we need to get a good transfer QB in here and get him working with our new receivers pronto. If that's the kid out of Wake Forest, great. If it's someone else, great. But I think we do need someone because despite all the great things we HEAR about Carson Beck, I'm a little nervous about him just walking in and being ready to go Game 1. Same for Stetson Bennett and D'Wan Mathis, although I'm guessing that if we pull in a transfer, either Bennett or Mathis (maybe both) will enter the transfer portal. Oh well, ain't college football fun these days? Go Dawgs!

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, by playing for the LOL's, at least his parents will never have to worry about their kids' football games messing up their new years day plans.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Too much comp for Cade in Athens. Couldn't break through as a starter. More competition coming. Best to run back up to Knoxville.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a follow-up to my post earlier today. I do not believe Cade Mays entered the transfer portal because of Sam Pitman leaving for Arkansas or Jake Fromm and several offensive lineman declaring for the NFL Draft. I suspect that the UGA Athletic Department, their attorneys and their insurance company played hardball with Kevin Mays and denied his claim. Furthermore, I suspect that interaction between Mays and UGA became very personal and possibly insulting to the Mays family, and without an acceptable offer from the school, they felt compelled to file the law suit. If they planned to file a suit, it had to happen within two years of the accident which occurred in December 2017.

I have no axe to grind with the University. I, my wife and our two daughters have degrees from UGA, and we are big time fans. Initially I was livid about Kevin Mays causing this controversy, but then I read the comments from Tom Mars in which he accused UGA of releasing the details of the law suit. Furthermore, he indicated that UGA continued to take the low road in dealing with Kevin Mays. Frequently we disregard anything an attorney says in this type situation, but the comment from Tom Mars seemed to indicate that the low road probably included something else the school had done. I suspect he felt the school had been overly aggressive in denying this claim.

Based on Tom Mars comments I suspect UGA's lawyers and insurance company did play hardball with Kevin Mays to the point that he may have felt insulted and thought that a law suit was his only option. In light of this it probably was unlikely that Cade Mays could continue to play for a school that in his mind treated his father with so little respect.

If my theory is correct, it's surprising that the school would use a strategy in this situation that would put them in a big time confrontation with the family of one of their players.

You may not agree with my thoughts on this, but at this point I think there could be some validity to my ideas and I am no longer mad or livid with the Mays family.