Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

UGA could look at NFL offensive coordinator Todd Monken, per ESPN

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageUGA could look at NFL offensive coordinator Todd Monken, per ESPN

UGA got some big news within the last few days with the addition of graduate transfers of quarterback Jamie Newman and tight end Tre McKitty. Could there be other significant changes to the offense in the works? The Bulldogs may take a look at NFL offensive coordinator Todd Monken, according to ESPN’s Mark Schlabach:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have heard nothing of this....but Kirby and I are not tight...lol. Could be some truth to it. Maybe Chubb can put in a good word for UGA. Wait and see...Notre Dame could be a problem. They have strong drawing power. Scott leaving should not have surprised anyone. Keep Broderick Jones in mind too..he is scheduled to visit his friend and recruiter Pittman as well...BEFORE he visits UGA.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

So we are possibly looking at Monken as the new O-Coord and Coley let go or only QB Coach?

• Options

I don't believe Monken will take anything less than OC...he doesn't have to. That would make Coley something less, I guess. Very speculative report!!!

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wouldn't consider this to be a "home-run hire" by any stretch of the imagination.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guarantee he is 100% better than what we have right now

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options

So Monken leaves Miss State 5 yrs ago for the NFL as the hottest offensive commodity and is now back possibly looking at college offenses again because he failed at Cleveland.I would like to speak with Nick Chubb about this guy. As OC he was not allowed to call plays>???? Why would we want Monken? Just askin'.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I have seen film of UGA practices on various outlets, not once have I seen Kirby micro managing the offense. 100% of the time he is busting the defenses chops. The way he and the staff have the defense performing, perhaps he should be spending more time with the offense rather than less!

• Options

It would seem that way, ShootTh Hooch. I am not sold on Monken....we don't cartwheel with glee every time a new name is mentioned. There are reasons why these coaches are released...some legit, some not.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't know what to think about this guys. Cleveland has such a wild card at QB it is hard to tell where the problems with the offense are. I agree with those that suggest talking with Chubb to get his take on the guy. If he did come on board as OC, then Coley would be what, Co-OC? They have used that title before. Monken could be up in the booth and Coley could be the coach on the sideline? Frankly, I don't know of any other OC's apart from Joe Brady (who is leaving) that I would suggest. I believe in Kirby and trust that he is going to find the best guy to fill that 10th coaching position. I am sure he has no shortage of candidates.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hire someone from the NFL please! Qb coach and offensive coordinator

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

His hands on expertise is DEFENSE. He must have an offensive mind that he trusts with his (Kirby's) job in order to have a productive offense. I would guess that offensive coaches get their chops busted in private (as a competent manager should do).

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly have no idea whether this a good idea or bad. You would think logically a coach for a NCAA Top-10 program with loads of potential NFL athletes and a coach for the NFL would share quite a bit of common but from my view they often don't. College coaching is probably 80% recruiting, 15% keeping kids out of trouble and 5% play calling.

Whereas the NFL is what? Kissing top managements butt I guess? I mean, you get your "franchise" players, you have your common playbooks and you have guys where this is their profession and they are the best of the best. A lot of it is really in auto-pilot.

Again, I have no clue. If he'd be great, then great, but recruiting kids that often come from nothing is a big part of this side and being a great play caller while being a poor recruiter would be a huge failure for the program.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My quick take is that we should never hire NFL offensive coordinators. In the NFL they have a LOT more practice time, so the coordinators are far more complex than what they can do with college students. I think that's a big reason Shotenhimer (yeh I know that's misspelled, don't care.) was so awful. Grantham too on the defensive side, although he started to adjust over the years. That's my quick take, I could be wrong.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well if he is so good...and Georgia is not going to fire Coley........Why would he tale a job below OC

• Options
    AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

You clearly missed the fact that he was a head coach at southern miss before he went to the nfl. So I’m pretty sure he understands the college game.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Than that would be different. As long as they can recruit and get kids to understand the concepts with 20hrs of practice a week. But I've seen some highly thought of NFL coaches come into college and stink it up because they were unable to transition well.