Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following addition of offensive coordinator Todd Monken

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football winners and losers following addition of offensive coordinator Todd Monken

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers after adding offensive coordinator Todd Monken Winner: George Pickens 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I definitely feel like this is a good and exciting thing. We will have to see, however in what plays get called. Either way, change is good.

In terms of Fromm, I have to believe that these staff changes and such aren't as quick and dramatic as it seems to be. I could be wrong, but I would THINK that Smart would've been putting out "feelers" for awhile and seeing who is interested and start building a plan. So, I would've ASSUMED that Fromm was pretty aware of what the situation was going to be or at least a general here-is-the-type-of-coach-we-are-going-to-get.

I'm wondering if that was what helped push Fromm to the NFL. I don't think the long-ball is Fromm's expertise and even question if whether Eason/Fields would've gotten the starting job if Monken was OC. It very well be that Smart indicated that he still intended to get a transfer QB with a big arm and that Fromm was not guaranteed the job. Not being the starter would've made Fromm un-draftable.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm definitely could have benefited had he stayed. Monken's offensive schemes are very effective (watch osu reruns). Monken's offense is very organize and rarely does his players make mistakes. Reminds me of coach Dooley team. I hope Monken has sole control over the offense.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Fromm was aware that a big change was coming and didn’t to have to learn a new offense. He was always going to be the third QB picked next year, at a minimum, after Fields and Lawrence. A big senior year wasn’t going to change that. He’ll probably be 4th this year after Burrow, Tua and Herbert

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake did the math and left. A bird in the hand sort of thing. He put in three good years with UGA and moved on. There is little to no doubt he saw changes coming with the type of passing game UGA would be moving toward.....Smart and he talked...I know that.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like the rest of you, I find it hard to believe that Fromm didn't have a sense of what was coming. I guess we'll never know whether he was put off by it, or simply thought the time was right regardless, but it is kind of an intriguing point to speculate.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

None of us knows how all of this will end up, but what I do know is how quickly CKS turned things around. Less than two weeks ago, Dawg fans were lamenting the loss of Fromm, Swift , Zachary Evans, and our powerful tackles and thinking that we were going to be stuck with another year of the same old, same old with Coley as OC. And then, faster than a Mecole Hardman KO return to the house (as Jeff Sentell might say) CKS just up and changed the narrative. He got a coveted QB to transfer; he brought in an OC that everyone praises, and generally has created off-season excitement in the middle of off-season gloom. Good on him.

And as pleasant aside, though in the other division, the darlings of the 2019 season, LSU, got dramatically weaker overnight. They lost their top offensive assistant coach, their DC and their all-everything QB. Folks used to fuss about CKS not being able to hold on to talented folks but at this level, that's just the way it is. The key is, who can be like Saban and plug in other folks (players, coaches and staff) and maintain that same level of excellence? Guess we'll soon find out in both Baton Rouge and Athens. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    joelljoell Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

A good game can change fans views quickly. I can recall when many wanted Pickens given a one way ticket outta town. I like George, but he has exhibited some dirty football player traits, like grabbing defensive backs face masks when officials aren't looking to get open. Hopefully he has cleaned up his act.