Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football coaches, recruits and fans react to addition of 5-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football coaches, recruits and fans react to addition of 5-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff

Days after adding Todd Monken and Buster Faulkner to the offensive staff, Georgia added another key piece to the future of the Bulldog offense. The Bulldogs landed a commitment from 5-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff on Tuesday morning. Vandagriff announced that he was staying home, as he hails from Bogart, Ga.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

This should help the influx of WR's over the next couple of classes. Good move.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw that error by Connor...nothing new. Vandagriff will just have to move up a year and sign on in Feb.....lololol.

Definitely stop recruiting Caleb Williams. Let Brock know he is UGA's top QB recruit for 2021.Recruiting seems like a lottery at times. Brock's stats are very impressive...passing, running, receiving and kicking! His speed is good for a QB also. This kid is a real catch. An exceptional athlete. Rare find. OK coaches know this and are sad to see him decommit. Welcome home, Brock!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

The quote is to this: "Vandagriff will just have to move up a year and sign on in Feb.....lololol"

Gives new meaning to the phrase "early enrolee." :)

Welcome to the family, Brock, can't wait to see you at a G-Day!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mullen and UF got to enjoy about a week of being the team to beat in the east. With Newman, Vandagriff, Monken and the rest of the offensive shake up, UF and the rest of the east has fallen even further behind the Dawgs! Go DAWGS!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"He is the No. 1 ranked quarterback in the 2020 class"... DN writers always keeping us on our toes!

One of our current QBs will enter the transfer portal if Brock signs with UGA in 2021. Nothing new (Eason, Fields...)

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

This move is going to put some pressure on Carson Beck to find opportunities to showcase and develop his talents in the coming season. Vandagriff is going to be pushing for the starting job from day 1 once he arrives on campus. I doubt either of these guys will be content to sit on the bench if not named the starter in 2021. They are going to have to fight it out and may the best Dawg win.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"This move is going to put some pressure on Carson Beck to find opportunities to showcase and develop his talents in the coming season. "

Hopefully there will be plenty of blowouts for Beck to get his feet wet this year, without burning up his redshirt eligibility. Then again if CKS believes he's shown enough to be the heir apparent, you get him as many chances as possible to be able to roll into 2021 as the starter without having to (in theory any way) begin with a newby starting QB.

Of course if Brock comes in and totally wows the coaches, then may the best man win. All things being equal though, or nearly equal, give the guy with the experience the first crack at it.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saying I am stoked is perhaps the greatest understatement of my life - welcome aboard, Brock. It is great to be a DAWG!!! I so love seeing the negative comments from the fans of so many teams. It means we are on their mind, nah, in their mind, rather. GATA!!!!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Connor, I have a degree in journalism, and detest grammar-Nazis. Those who can't become critics of those who do - an axiom that holds true. Now watch those who can't give me thumb downs, for they know they are anonymous. Connor has great insight, and being an author who has had a book hit number one on Amazon, I challenge you to try doing what he is doing without an ever-present editor. He is busy and here to give information. It isn't his fault if you have a hard time figuring it out, for any mistakes are small, so no need for you to be, also.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vandagriff is much more than a pocket passer -

Over his time at Prince Avenue Christian, Vandagriff has played wide receiver and kicked off. According to 247Sports, Vandagriff was clocked at 4.69 seconds in the 40-yard dash at The Opening regional workouts in April 2019 and recorded a 36.9-inch verical jump. According to MaxPreps, Vandagriff rushed for 1,001 yards and passed for 3,190 yards as a sophomore and caught 34 passes for 472 yards as a freshman.

• Options

DawgOn ...lighten up. I too have a Grady degree in J. We are not Grammar-Nazis. Some get testy, but most let the errors slide. I used the "2020" miscue as a segue to an LOLOL. Connor generally does a very good job. We do not need a lecture on how to treat Connor. Am so glad you got through J-School....lololol. Let's get back to our main focus...UGA 2020.

• Options

Glad you have a sense of humor, 97GradyDawg! ' Cause that's what is needed. :)

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well since we are all bragging on our journalism degrees, let me add my name to that august list. Add to that, more than 35 years in the daily newspaper industry as a writer and editor. Indeed Connor has his share of mistakes in his copy, some downright basic. But I'm less bothered by an obvious typo -- as this clearly was -- than I am with some of the extremely poorly constructed pieces by him and his colleagues. All stories need a beginning, a middle and an end. Some of the DawgNation stories forget that theory, forcing the reader to guess or think in non-linear fashion to follow the arc of the article. That's where the lack of an editor hurts them the most, when stories are just merely compilation of facts, or either unnecessary words and sentences that repeat the same information three paragraphs in a row, just said a different way. Or misapplied analogies to describe players that need no further description than their height, weight, position and classification because anything else is just word "clutter." There are so many other journalistic faux pas too numerous to outline here. But a typo, while bothersome and factually incorrect, is probably not enough to call anyone out over at this point.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

According to Monken, Beck has not been ruled out of getting all the snaps this season. I think competition is good for getting the best out of competitors. They all need to push each other and may the best QB win the starting job.

• Options
    Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

The worm has certainly turned. CKS has fully grown into a championship capable Head Coach. Now the ingredients of his championship dish are assembled.

His ability to recruit at a top level have always been on display. Now he's rendering a gold medal pinot noir (defense) with a stellar plate of filet mignon and black garlic infused Salmonskin pasta salad. (Offense) [Yes, my NorCal roots are on full display in these comments... lol]

A QB of Brock's pedigree doesn't just fall off the back of a truck. It's nurtured. Our new Offensive staff will fully develop his talent pallet which will (hopefully) result in multiple trips too the playoff with at least one raising of the hardware before he moves on too the league . Go Dawgs!!