Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Thank You Scott Woerner

DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay, so here's my morning rant. After reading Scott Woerner's recent piece in Dawgnation, I started to think about the possibility of this being the year. Yes, I know immediately some will call those of us that embrace that possibility, overly optimistic, or in many cases delusional, but I really don't think so. I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to Georgia football having lived every minute of it for well over 5 decades. All I know is that for the first time in a long time I really see a change in the air. The players everywhere are telling us, something big is happening with Georgia football. To the negative Dawg fans out there that are not listening, you need to quit that Stinkin Thinkin and be more supportive of these players. I remember well the last championship we had. I and many friends were early, and feverish supporters of that team. When the year was over and the title was won we all relished in the truth that we had believed from the start. That's what this game is about. Not so much about braggin rights or anything else other than the proud love, backing and support of our Dawgs. To all the negative posters on this forum let me ask you, how would you feel if you were a player giving your all everyday only to read on Dawgnation the fans doubts, and "wont believe it till I see it" comments. I ask you as a fan, which would you rather be, an "I told you I was right in having my doubts" fan, or one that believed in our team all the way from start to finish. I've been both and believe me there is no comparison between the two.
Potential problems and derailments, sure every team is going to have them. Injuries, bad calls, coaching mistakes, and all the other issues that beset a team, can and probably will happen. Regardless, we all have to remember that every other team out there is facing just as many, if not more obstacles than we have. The difference is our stable is filling up with studs. We have a Coach that has been to the top and knows the path to get back there. The sleeping Dawg is waking up and he is Hungry!
Release The Dawgs!!!!!

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not delusional to say this could be the year. To predict that this is the year is pretty delusional. But the possibility is there. Gotta hammer out the o-line. Jacob's gotta progress. And we gotta find someone to replace Maurice. But the first of those three is the only thing that the odds are stacked against us getting done. But it is possible. There's a good chance we'll have a solid replacement for Maurice by game 4 or 5. And I'm gonna be shocked if Jacob doesn't progress. But all 3 of those things could happen. Then it's just a question of how stiff is the competition do we face in the SEC championship game and the playoffs. Things could pop from here. But it'd be a pop. It's far from a given that we'll even be in the playoffs.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Levander, yes thank you for that sobering reply. Shortly after my blathering rant I was quickly wheeled down the hall for a therapy session where I was forced to watch re-runs of last seasons Florida, Vandy and Tech games.

I'm much better now and will be perfectly content with our usual coulda, woulda season.

Until Sept 2, there will be no more double Espresso Kool-aid shots for me

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Scott Woerner is the defense and special teams guy who saved us against Clemson in 1980 right?

@mqg96 said:
    Scott Woerner is the defense and special teams guy who saved us against Clemson in 1980 right?

Here's a brief quote on him from http://www.georgiadogs.com/news/2016/9/29/Scott_Woerner_On_Campus_Salute.aspx

A First Team All-America selection as a senior, Woerner made two key interceptions in Georgia's win over Notre Dame in the 1981 Sugar Bowl for the national title. The 1980 First Team All-SEC selection led the Bulldogs to the conference title, and he was the only defensive player in the conference's top 10 in all-purpose yardage. Georgia's Most Valuable Back in 1980, Woerner currently ranks fourth all-time in program history with 13 career interceptions and second with 303 career interception return yards.

Considered the best punt returner in Bulldogs history, he was twice named the school's Outstanding Special Teams Player, and he set UGA records for career (1,077) and single-season (488) punt return yards and kickoff return yards in a game (190). Woerner played for College Football Hall of Fame coach Vince Dooley and alongside Hall of Famers Terry Hoage and Herschel Walker during his time in Athens.

and Yes he did save us in that Clemson game.

From Chips piece in Dawgnation

"In 1980, he led Georgia to victory over Clemson in a hard-fought 20-16 win in Sanford Stadium. Sports Illustrated named his as the nation’s Defensive Player of the Week following his performance which included a 67-yard punt return for a touchdown in the game’s early minutes. He followed later in the first half with a 98-yard interception return to the Clemson two-yard-line which stopped a Tiger scoring threat and also set up a Buck Belue 1-yard run giving the Bulldogs a 14-10 halftime lead."

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBones I really didn't think your post was all that irrational. You were just having fun considering the idea that this could be the year. And it could be.

Bingo! Hope springs eternal, and right now is the time to have fun. Don't know about others on the forum but I've dropped in on enough of the other teams fan boards to know we are doing great. If the Dawg fans would like a little schadenfreude, then just click over to VolNation for a little visit. Whole lota Negativity in Knoxville. Much of the same goes for just about every other SEC East team. Like I posted in my caffeine crazed rant, I've been following Georgia football for a long time and great times are just beginning.