Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Coach Smart

2»

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Want be coaching at Georgia

I won't him to be at UGA in 10 years, but his personality and ties to the program kind of tell me if he reaches national trophy type of success that he'll move on to prove he can do it somewhere else. That type of thing.

And honestly, if I was a head coach I'd probably move on too at the first good opportunity just because the fans these days have no patience. Get paid while your stock is high and get out before you wear out your welcome.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes

Kirby isn't going anywhere but The NFL, and I seriously doubt he will go there.

I feel like he would have made that Jump while at Bama.

Had plenty of opportunity.

He waited for the UGA HC job to come available for a reason.

He is an alumnus and I think he will stay at UGA as long as we'll have him.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes

Kirby’s got $50,000,000.00 coming to him and more if/ when he wins a natty. That’s pretty good incentive to not pack up his family and move away from a place where he has more clout than the Governor.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Want be coaching at Georgia

I hope you're both right.

The NFL is what I was thinking too @dgd829 . But I have no real reason for that. And when I think about it the less likely it seems. Kirby is an emotional coach and a very good recruiter. These play to the college game more than the NFL.

• Options
    BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Yes

I hope he turns out to be the next Dooley. Coach 20 or 25 years then AD. A Dawg for life.

• Options
    QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes

Some coaches are just built to be college football coaches. I think Kirby is one of those. Some of Kirby's attributes, that actually make him a great college coach, don't translate well to the NFL.

Steve Spurrier is an example of a coach that couldn't coach millionaires. The two levels are so different, being great at one sometimes make you not so great at the other.

I think Kirby Smart is a dynasty builder. I'm very much looking forward to what the '20s bring Georgia.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Yes

I get it but Kirby turned down $500,000 and they split it up among the other coaches, Kirby is a true Dawg it’s what’s in his heart not his wallet. Believe me I get it, I’m one of those people who thinks that once you make a certain amount of money how much more do you need. I don’t think he let’s his ego get in the way of his decision making, meaning he doesn’t have to be the highest paid coach in football or have his ego stroked. Kirbys got his dream job. I’ve seen coaches be foolish before but I don’t think he’s one of those guy’s. He’s a DGD!

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes

Agree. Have said before Kirby is home and going nowhere. I think He enjoys recruiting too much to go to the NFL. Think things would have to go bad for him to leave for another college job . Don’t see that happening any time soon