Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National media forms consensus on new Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageNational media forms consensus on new Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken

Georgia's offense will be under a new direction next with Todd Monken taking over for the now-departed James Coley. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience at both the NFL and college levels. The last time he was an offensive coordinator at the college level, he played a key role in leading Oklahoma State to a

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, you can't just put a star RB out there and have them reliably get yards anymore. I'm not going to compare Herschel, but there is ZERO doubt that we've had some of the best RBs out there and players like Chubb routinely got stopped when the defense was prepared for the run. It'd drive me nuts when we'd spend forever getting a TD and then the opposing team would get a couple of big plays and get a TD.

Like if you're 3rd and long, then it'd almost be **** NOT to do a long yardage play if there is a good chance of making it. I mean, if you get intercepted way downfield then it could wind up even being better than a punt anyway.

I believe that's why our offense began to ****. The opposing Ds adjusted to our run heavy offense and were able to stop it. If the D doesn't see a high percentage chance that you could throw 30 yards on 1st down, then you'll NEVER be able to run. You need that balance to succeed. We almost should've gone "all in" and instead put in multiple RBs and run Wildcats.

Looking forward to seeing it all in action!

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

“Jake Fromm did all he could in his three seasons as the team’s starting quarterback, but he couldn’t change the plays that were called.”

Really? How often did we hear about the Jake breaking huddle with multiple play options, and deciding on the play based on the defensive alignment? If Jake couldn't change plays, why did he spend 20 seconds barking instructions before every snap? Was he not calling audibles?

I'm not faulting Jake Fromm by pointing this out, I'm questioning how much this Scarborough guy really knows.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree it is time for change in the type of offense UGA fields. However to completely ignore the fact the WR position and to a certain extent the TE position was decimated by early departures and injuries is not being intellectually honest. Throw in the fact that Holloman was kicked off the team (rightly so) and the end result was there just wasn't enough playmakers left to throw the ball to.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Copy and paste. Go Dawgs!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

"Many of the national media pundits who are now weighing in on the new coordinator hires seem to agree that Monken has the unenviable task of pulling the Bulldogs’ offense into the modern era."

"The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel also echoed what Rittenberg had to say, as he said Monken is the ”ideal choice to help bring Georgia’s offense out of the stone ages.”"

"But like Monken, the national media seems to expect Newman to also help modernize Georgia’s offense."

In 2017, the Georgia offense finished in the top 20 in scoring and top 10 in yards per play, despite their games usually becoming out of reach for the opponent in the third quarter. In 2018, those rankings were even better. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still consider those years to be pretty modern. And I'm confident most historians would attest that they fall well within the 21st century.

Look, I'm not interested in excusing the 2019 offense. It was terrible - plain and simple. But when these pundits, experts and, yes, even some comment section denizens blatantly overstate an issue, it's not adding anything substantive to the conversation. They're only presenting themselves as unwilling or unable to look at something for what it really is, or has been. As with everyone else, it was obvious to me that the offense needed to improve after what we saw last year, and I'm excited to see what kind of spark Monken brings to the team. But this idea that because something went poorly at one point, it was never any good, is just asinine.

Again, just to be super clear, I'm happy with the changes that were made. I just think the discussions on the offense would be well served by more intellectual honesty and less hyperbole.