Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NCAA group recommends immediate eligibility for transfers, too late for Luke Ford

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageNCAA group recommends immediate eligibility for transfers, too late for Luke Ford

ATHENS — The NCAA Transfer Working Group looks to open the door for for football transfers to gain immediately eligibility. “The current system is unsustainable, (and) working group members believe it’s time to bring our transfer rules more in line with today’s college landscape,” Mid-American Conference commissioner

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This just shows why they should get rid of the joke that is the transfer portal. This kid transfers home for a legit reason, denied. Crybabies(qbs) transfer and immediate eligibility. Same with the tackle that transferred, can't remember exact details but I remember it, like ford's, was dragged on for months and told no. Fields and Martell transfer, poof, oh you can play. The NCAA needs to fix this asap. Either make it where you HAVE TO wait a year or set actual guidelines that aren't so vague as to let elevated skill positions transfer and are allowed to play. This problem gets bigger and next is the worst problem college athletics can have. Paying players.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, it'll be for the best long term. We can't have high priced lawyers involved in NCAA cases and behind closed door "you don't know the whole truth, but I'm not going to tell you the whole truth" BS. This is definitely going to make it far more difficult for the coaches. Now, instead of just having to recruit High School (and even Middle School) players, every single college player is now a possible transfer. To make matters worse, signing on the dotted line and even enrolling in a school doesn't really matter, so coaches need to be "selling" to their current players too.

We're going to have 3-4 stars heading to smaller schools where they can show off bonkers numbers against lower level talent and then immediately transfer to a big name school. On the flip side, we'll have 4-5 stars that will red shirt and then see what school can offer them the "best deal" to be a starter.

BUT, it'll be fine. 90% of players are going to want to stay with the school and those are your core players that work hard and are really what the team is built on. The rest are drama and almost aren't worth it.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think it's a good idea...they are kids who will play at 4 different schools....the big schools will start recruiting players from other schools...football will become a little like basketball.....there will be a whole new team each and every year

• Options

It's a one time allowance. If they transfer a second time, they have to sit out. Unless they're a QB/RB/5 STAR, then they get immediately waived.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I bet Smart, Saban, Swinney, Oregon and Day are all licking their chops. The rich will get richer with another tool in their Roster Management belts.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luke Ford's mistake was he transferred to the wrong school. If he would've transferred to Ohio St, he would have never missed a snap.

Might as well let them all transfer with immediate eligibility, at least it will even the field. No need in letting special schools be the only one's who get to enjoy such an advantage...

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luke Ford's situation is sad but, I think, unique. I think the NCAA, as it is wont to do, has overrreacted and gone to the wrong extreme. I STILL SAY, anyone can transfer but all transfers must sit a year EXCEPT for kids who already have graduated from their previous schools or kids who are transferring because their school eliminated the football program (not got put on probation, but actually eliminated). Just do that. I really don't know how this new ruling "helps" the student athlete, except it allows them to play "pick-and-choose" too much.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The new landscape of college football. They could slow some of this pecking of other teams roster by making teams that pick up a player from the portal, refund the athletes current university for the cost of the scholarship already used in cash and give up 1 scholarship to the releasing school.

• Options

I think if this comes to pass, more than likely it will, there needs to be guidelines.

1. DEEP research into why asking for a transfer.

2. Look at playing stats. If there's a sharp decline, look for disciplinary/attitude problems.

3. Verify there's no known contact of any kind between the transferee and the school he wants to transfer to. Like even with current players on the new school's roster. Yes I know there's the, "I've known his since grade school..."

4. Look at grades. Even so much as 1 failed class, denied.

Just my thoughts.

• Options
    WizardofWordsWizardofWords Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

The Power 5 conferences need to have a closed door meeting with the NCAA and tell them this horsepucky needs to stop. Then tell them that if they don't there will be another CFA and this time it will be for good. The NCAA is corrupt and schools like Ohio State have way too much influence.

• Options

I noticed that I am rated a "Freshman" on this site. I am offended. How many out there can say that they stood in their North Florida front yard back in the 60's with a transistor radio planted against their ear in an attempt to tweak WSB 750 so they could listen to the Dogs play (Dogs: that's what they were at the time). And I will not reveal how or why I had it but I used to walk around with a key to Sanford Stadium. Freshman? Right...

• Options

Oh, now I see. It is the number of post made. Never mind...🤣