Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What the most important moments of Kirby Smart's coaching career tell us about the future of Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat the most important moments of Kirby Smart's coaching career tell us about the future of Georgia football

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. The most important moments of Kirby Smart coaching career so far As hard as it might be to believe, this the

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whenever I read the word finally in regards to Kirby Smart's four year career as a head coach, it makes me think about coaches who never changed, Les Miles comes to mind as one of those who never adjusted. Looks like Smart is willing to evolve and that is something that some people and coaches simply can't do.

Smart has already had more success than any rookie coach over the last four years. Maybe Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma could say the same, but Smart came out on top in the head to head and Riley doesn't face an SEC schedule. Georgia is very fortunate to have the best young coach in college football.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The early departure at WR/TE coupled with the fact the receiver group was decimated with injuries all season long had a lot to do with last season's subpart Offensive showing. Oh yeah, not to mention Holloman getting kicked off of the team.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Scorecheck,

I totally agree with your comment. If we keep one of those NFL eligible (underclassmen) WRs along with Holloman the season would have likely been very different. Not saying we would have beaten LSU, but we would have been much better offensively. Oh well.....that’s the breaks of football. Also, the article addressed Field’s last play at UGA....a muffed fake punt attempt. I also noted that his last play at Ohio State this past season was an interception in the end zone. Looks like Field’s is 0-2 on his season ending final plays. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No D-linemen in the top 12 prospects? UGh! Things aren't changing much for the better in that area? Or am I wrong?

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2020

The experienced talent on the 2019 team would have been good enough to with the CFP had the receiving corps stayed for that season. Mecole Hardman was the only real winner in the group that left, and the others might have changed the season. Of course, with the offense Chaney and Coley were running, they saw no chance of their stock going up so they made a reasonable choice. With the changes I think we'll see in the passing game this year, the receiving corps will likely have more fun, and looking around and seeing the offensive talent on the roster, they are more likely to hang around longer to ride the wave. See this year's defensive returners. The last four years have been quite a ride. The next four might well surpass them all. Of course, a lot rides on Mr. Monken's influence and probably how long we can keep him. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby Smart was first-team All SEC as a saftey during his senior year at UGA...after that defense also hallmarked his coaching career up through Bama as DC under Nick Saban. We all know this. Now, sitting in the head coaches chair at UGA, with a solid four years behind him, Kirby still has not produced what he was hired to produce...a national championship. He knows it. At first I glumly figured he would continue to chop wood and grind out the run game with a teasing of the pass option as a savor. You cannot deny his success at it either. He is young and talented and yes, tested. One heck of a recruiter as well...top in the nation two out of three years. And, oh yes, he started a new trend...beating up on Florida..! Browny points for that one. Sounds like a great coach in most archived annals. But, what I really like about Coach Kirby Smart he has a winning vision....it is this vision that most great coaches possess. His vision sees UGA as national champs! You can fumble with the algorithms all day, but it is that focused vision that has prompted Kirby Smart to order a pretty much new direction for his beloved team.....more play/options, and versatility, with mostly all new offensive coaches to make it happen....plus a stable of freshly hand-picked recruits...featuring some of the best players in the country at their positions! Will it happen? Yes! Coach Smart is a visionary......he sees that path to the prize...and will achieve it ....soon! I believe he is that good!