Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit calls Scott Cochran hiring a 'coup', former Alabama players praise move

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageKirk Herbstreit calls Scott Cochran hiring a 'coup', former Alabama players praise move

Kirby Smart sent shock waves around the SEC and college football landscape with the hiring of Scott Cochran to become Georgia's new special teams coordinator.

"Ask anyone who's been around him, Scott's passion and energy is contagious," Smart said.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Y’all thinking Cochran doesn’t have coaching experience is cute..." This quote jumps out to me!

I'm not sure on the rules? Is a S&C coach allowed to also teach like a position coach? Are they restricted in the same way an analyst is?

It doesn't matter because anybody who knows anything about Saban's Alabama knows his 'Analyst' are analyst in name only. They are all extra position coaches and many of them come down to the field and coach em up. I'm sure Cochran has had plenty of time coaching technique to his players, and it mattered not if that was allowed by the rules.

I have a feeling UGA is about to have one hell of a motivated Special Teams.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love all the comments regarding the “energy and passion” Cochran brought to Bama football. Hopefully we will benefit from that extra craziness and Bama will be weakened by the loss. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats Smart, sounds like a huge pickup! So... why was this critical component of a coaching squad only making $500k then? I get that his position was Strength & Conditioning, but if he is the critical component that everyone says that he is then maybe he should've been paid more.

I would argue this is a long way from a "first" step of the changing of the guard. It takes time to unravel the Saban dynasty but it's been happening step by step.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach Kirby is a very Smart man.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perhaps I missed it, but I have yet to see how much money it took to lure Cochran. Certainly he did not cross state lines for less income. And as I've said so many times the past several years, follow the money. In college football, you essentially buy championships nowadays, or at the very least, pay to compete at the highest level. It's great for schools like Georgia, but sad for college football as a whole. Like every other alum, I hope that all this money gets us where we want to be - which is not 1, but several national titles.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Doesn't Georgia still need to hire a Strength & Conditioning coach?

So just so I have this straight.... we hired the best Strength & Conditioning Coach in the country, and then gave him an on-field job that prevents him from working with the players in the offseason, including the weightroom?

We basically hired a Special Teams coach with no experience. Is that about right?

I'm happy about this, I really am. But Cochran will be in a much different position than the one he was in at Alabama, and used in a much different capacity.

• Options
    AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

True or false... UGA needs to hire a Strength and Conditioning coach to work with the players in the offseason.

You may not be aware of this, because it's not mentioned in the article, but field coaches cannot work with players in the offseason, in the weightroom or anywhere else.

So we hired the best S&C coach in the world and made him our Special Teams Coordinator. I'm having trouble seeing what the difference is in that and hiring the best quarterback coach in the country to work with the safeties.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby wouldn't have hired him, especially for a role he's so critical of, if he didn't know that he has some kind of coaching pedigree in him.

But the comments down here about him being hired and us not having a S&C condition is absolutely hilarious. My question is, do these people even watch the game, and then not see the bald guy pulling back kirby on every single down?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I said yesterday when the news first broke that this is bigger than a strength and conditioning coach or even a special teams coaching position. UGA figures to have another great defense this year and we all know Lanning will get HC offers. Just a matter of time and when he leaves in steps Coach Cochran. Wait for it.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Who cares?

For the most part coaches are loyal to the team wishing to spend the most cash on them …… They come and go

• Options
    HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The game with Alabama is going to be all out war. Not for the faint of heart. There will be some thuds in this one.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That video of the Bama fan (above)-before and after-is hilarious. SEC shorts will likely put out something similar. This hire is huge for UGA and very bad for BAMA. However, coaches do come and go and his impact will only be for as long as he is here. CKS will always be the cornerstone to our success, not another coach.