Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

It’s no guarantee of success, but Smart’s Dawgs are winning the offseason

SystemSystem Posts: 10,538 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageIt’s no guarantee of success, but Smart’s Dawgs are winning the offseason

Head coach’s aggressive moves are just what Bulldog Nation wants to see.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill. You always take a sober approach to your analysis of the Georgia Bulldogs program.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the biggest benefit of Cochran coaching special teams will come from his ability to motivate. Some of the most talented players traditionally haven't wanted to even be on a special teams unit. I think Cochran can help sell them on the importance of giving it their best.

Also, it's not like Smart's just going to dump it all in Cochran's lap and say, here's your baby. He will get plenty of help from the other coaches. Having a dedicated coordinator for those units should also help .

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill did an excellent job of summarizing Kirby's off season. Meanwhile in Gainesville, Mullen has hired a delusional TE coach.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Bill for another great article. I think the Tre McKitty (FSU TE) transfer may also be a huge deal for UGa. Several sportscasters including Mark Richt had high praise for this guy. We will likely need a proven TE who averaged over 2 receptions per game over the past 2 seasons.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama fans are upset over this, but they need to understand something; no matter how bad Kirby may have wanted to hire Cochran, in the end, it's his decision to leave or not. And if a coach, ANY COACH, feels it's in his best interest to leave and go somewhere else, it's their right to do so. And who knows, maybe there was some tension between Saban and Cochran, leading to him wanting to leave.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Cochran wanted to move forward with his career into a coaching position. Bama didn't have one or my bet is he'd still be with the Crimson Tide. Kirby saw the opportunity to get Cochran and didn't hesitate. Great move even if it doesn't turn out to be earth-shattering. Cochran can't hurt our Special Teams and should only help to motivate them. It's a decent stepping stone for him to get in the coaching ranks of a Top program like at Georgia.

I'm more excited about the 2020 season than I have been in about any upcoming season in years. New faces, new opportunities, and a new offensive scheme. And a chance to play Bama twice next year!

What's not to like if you are a Dawg fan?

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is nice to land a solid jab against the big boy on the playground but that being said UGA has a staff full of recruiters. We have added solid Xs and Os guy with the OL coach and a real improvement at OC with a coach who has a system ……. What we didn't need was another coach who has no idea how to coach ….. we have lost games the last few years because we were flat out coached. We need a better balance of coaches mixed into the great recruiters we have. I hope the addition of the OL coach (last guy was able to bring in unbelievable talent then couldn't make a 3rd and 1 to save his life) and OC (lets face it I don't think a single OC in the SEC was worse than what we just ran off to TXA&M) will be enough to push us over the top

• Options
    DougTheWiseDougTheWise Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

AL.com/Alabamafootball shutdown the comment section due to all the negative posts related to the Scott Cochran hire. I love it, Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm happy about the Cochran hire and not trying to a wet blanket, I promise but....

In regards to how much hiring him in the middle of Alabama's off-season workouts, human nature is a funny thing. The Alabama players have been hearing non-stop about the loss, and being told that their workouts will suffer in Cochran's absence. Will this motivate them to work even harder?

It's not as if Cochran has a magic wand. He has a system, one that he has used for several years, and one that can presumably be easily emulated by others still on the Alabama staff.

Not to be too sarcastic, but is Scott Cochran the only person in Tuscaloosa who can yell?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hiring anyone away from Saban lights a fire at UGA. Cochran happens to be a Bama legend...making it a fan sensation at UGA. Cochran and Kirby are close buddies and obviously talk all the time...ergo..welcome to UGA Scott...you are now officially an on-field coach! Good article Bill...as usual.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The King of Dawgnation has spoken. Thanks again Bill.

Cochran has zero on field coaching experience? Ugh, what?