Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH NFL writer: Georgia football has too many players going pro early

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageWATCH NFL writer: Georgia football has too many players going pro early

Georgia football had three of its four early NFL draft entries last season have disappointing rookie seasons, could more of the same be ahead this year?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it's their life and their decision. But one has to wonder if they are being oversold by blood-thirsty-agents.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure Smart tells all the marginal players like Holyfield and Ridley it would be better for them to play their Senior season.

But the NFL pays well and those players believe in themselves. Smart can give them good advice but he can't make them take it.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could be kids just think they're better than they really are, they have the mindset that they will come out early entering their Junior year and don't put in the study time and they get trapped into it regardless of where their draft stock sits. Just guessing. I can sort of understand the Jake thing (new offensive line, new receivers save Pickens, new RB and he is who he is. A game manager. But the Wilson deal was especially puzzling. Come back and dominate your senior year and go 1st or 2nd round. These young men need to understand that if they play their senior year, they're not giving up money , they're making money by improving their draft stock. It's just delayed a year in receiving it. They are taking the bird in hand versus two in the bush. It's almost always wrong in this case. Kids don't get delayed gratification. One year seems like an eternity.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This would all be a mute point if the powers that be would go back to making college athletes play four years. I know it’s not going to happen, but it should. Even some that get drafted in the first round tend to be busts. It would make both the college and pro games would be better.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder sometimes if some of these players see the recruits behind them and know that there is no guarantee of playing time just because they are seniors. Kirby has said many times that the best players are going to play and his more recent recruiting classes have been stronger than the first couple. Coming back for your senior season and getting beat out by a sophomore won’t help anyone’s draft stock. I bet that factored into Holyfield’s decision.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

i think all these kids see is the $$ signs of signing an NFL contract. Whether they play or not is irrelevant, it's all about making more money in a couple years than they will in 10-20 years of a real job.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wilson has started every game for GA for his last 3 years. He isn’t going to get appreciably better playing one more season for free. He needs to get paid the next time he steps out on the field. Besides that, there is a lot of o-line talent behind him that needs playing time. He is definitely doing the right thing. I hope he gets drafted but if not, he will get a chance to make someone’s team as a free agent. Falcons could use him.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would take Isaiah Wilson and Solomon Kindley any day over Falcons two first round OL from last year, Lindstrom and McGary, who are less than memorable and joke first round picks. DLed is stuck covering a team that drafts for short term needs that always exist because it consistently overlooks Long term BPA. If the Falcons were to draft all Dawgs this year, it would be 10 times,100 times better than their 2019 draft across the board on both offense and defense.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think ever since the NCAA opened the door to early draft the agents have swooped in to entice these young players into leaving college early for the money. Now we see this happening as the norm not the exception. UGA has an exceptionally high attrition it appears. Become a Bulldog and they will develop you early into a top pro prospect. Smart is correct....they believe their own press clippings...the agents certainly abet this. I believe most of the colleges follow suit. I have been against early draft since its inception. But then it comes down to the goals of the players. Colleges are used as prep houses for the pros in most cases. This filters down into the recruiting ranks of the young teenagers smelling the gold at the end of the college rainbow. The college experience loses its value as an educational institution and morphs into something less. It is not that simplistic but you get the point.

• Options
    HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coaches are going to find it harder and harder to keep their programs stocked. You have players leaving early for the draft as well as the transfer portal to deal with. Now there is the possibility of another change coming to the portal. Some of our kids would have definitely benefited from playing another season. I. Wilson only played two seasons of college ball. He was redshirted his true freshman year because he had problems with our heat and humidity. He would have been better staying and possibly moving over to the left tackle spot for a year.

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wilson only started the last two seasons, not three. Redshirted first season. The point is unless you’re getting first round grades (which he isn’t) then you’re leaving food on the table and hurting yourself. Isaiah Wilson got bad draft advice.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree this is an issue and several former UGa players should have stayed another year. I don’t agree that it’s unique to UGa because LSU had 9 or more juniors declare and I think Bama was similar to UGa. I believe this is more the results of ‘great recruiting’ than some mysterious trend in Athens. One would assume the more great players you have the greater the chances you will have more players declaring for the NFL early. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The NCAA doesnt have anything to do with this, the NFL bylaws are the ones that dont allow a person to play until they are 3 years removed from high school

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Chubb and Sony coming back together for their senior year almost helped UGA win a Natty. So most most players now don't want those 4 years of college grind and sweat they want instant money.