Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia freshman WR Jermaine Burton 'more explosive and quicker' than LSU's Ja'Marr Chase

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia freshman WR Jermaine Burton 'more explosive and quicker' than LSU's Ja'Marr Chase

Georgia football freshman Jermaine Johnson could make an immediate impact for the Bulldogs, according to UGA great Terrence Edwards

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

if (Burton) gets the playbook down early,” Edwards said, “he’ll be a guy that helps them win some games early next year.”

you mean if he can block- UGH

• Options
    KelevraKelevra Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I hate when coaches say things like this. He should have ended after “He reminds me of Ja’Marr Chase”.

Ja’Marr has proven his ability at the highest level; qualifications were met, hence the #7 and the Biletnikoff.

Quickness and explosiveness account for nothing if you can beat press which I believe Ja’Marr is the best in the nation at doing.

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

This kid has a huge upside but I think he will definitely have to earn it in this receivers room this year. Blaylock will be back along with Pickens. Many have written off D-Rob but he is the one who I think will benefit the most as Newman has the ability to get the ball out and on time faster than Jake. Burton will help and make plays but the three mentioned previously will be Day One starters.

@Kelevra we definitely won't need to see how well he blocks because he will be catching passes 20+ yards downfield...

Go Dawgs!!!!

• Options

Sorry the last post is for

@reddawg1 we definitely won't need to see how well he blocks because he will be catching passes 20+ yards downfield...

@Kelevra Terrence Edwards is a former player and current trainer not coach though he should be the WR coach at UGA. That's nothing against Coach Hankton as he too is a good coach but rather showing love to a former DGD....

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Burton will be a quick study as well as quick on his peds. But, yes, Pickens and a healthy Blaylock should start. Then there is rocket man.....Arian Smith, 4.3 over 40yds. We are suddenly loaded with WR talent, many of whom could start themselves. Not a bad place to be in 2020. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ WayxATLdawg89

I think you may be new to Dawgnation (which is OK). As far as blocking for receivers goes that is high on CKS's list of attributes. CKS has been on record multiple times that if you can' block well, you don't start . Regardless of talent. Hence my statement with the attached "UGH" Sarcasm intended. I'll go on record and say that you need the best pass catchers and route runners at receivers or else you're wasting talent. Just put an extra tight end out there.

• Options

@reddawg1

Yes, I am new to posting but have been a lifelong fan of the dawgs and the game itself. I agree with you about Kirby being on record saying you block, you play. But I also know coaching philosophies change as well especially if you are paid top dollar to win, hence the hiring of Monken to move the offense along. Blocking well downfield has gotten us to the SEC Championship and Sugar Bowl the past two seasons. Pass catching downfield will win us the National Championship in 2021.

Starters: Pickens, Blaylock, D-Rob

2nd team: Landers*, Burton, Rosemy

*I actually think Landers was gonna lose his spot this spring with all of the young talent coming in but will leave him there for now. Coley is gone and can no longer protect his spot. He has to show up or he will be in the portal not long after.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A comparison to Chase is quite the compliment, but, to say he is "more explosive and quicker" (as a freshman) speaks volumes to the abilities Burton must possess.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't care if a WR can run a 4.2 forty or a 5.2 forty, all I wan't to know is can he catch the football when it's thrown to him. If more passes were caught instead of dropped this past season Jake would have had a 70% completion rate this past season. Fred Bilentnikoff had the best hands in the NFL for years, hence the receiving award is named for him.