Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Best Films of the 90's

Comments

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh my, I'll just stick with the original Hunter S Thompson: "Bad craziness!"

Thanks for the reminder that the Brits released many of my all-time favs in the '90s.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Thankfully some discerning forum members have already pointed out several glaring omissions from my OP. Dazed and Confused, The Big Lebowski, True Romance, The Matrix, and Reservoir Dogs, just to name a few.

Here are some more that I noticed when I went back and reviewed it further:

Groundhog Day, Eyes Wide Shut, Rushmore, The Ice Storm, Heat, The Sweet Hereafter, Scream, Starship Troopers, Seven, My Own Private Idaho, Swingers, The Blair Witch Project, JFK, Natural Born Killers, Malcolm X, Hoop Dreams, Singles, There's Something About Mary.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless I missed it, this list is missing one of my all time favorites. I watched Boyz n the Hood so many times I could quote 95 percent of it.

I hesitate to mention one other movie in the same post because it couldn't be further from Boyz, but Ace Ventura is a classic IMHO.

• Options

Boyz is in the OP, but I missed Ace. Jim Carrey was definitely funny back then, before he started to take himself seriously. So many comedians fall into that trap later in life...

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

some smaller movies I haven’t seen mentioned

Freak Talks About Sex starring Steve Zahn, Josh Hamilton and not much else. Captures that weird time post-college and before getting an actual job in a medium size town while getting over an ex

Safe Men starring Steve Zahn (again), Sam Rockwell, and Paul Giamatti. From the guy who brought you I Love You Man, two karaoke singers get mistaken for safe crackers. Also be on the lookout for young Mark Ruffalo. One of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen.

Thursday starring Thomas Jane and Aaron Eckhart before they were almost stars. Former gang leader trying to go straight gets paid a visit from an old accomplice and his old life meets his new one. Tense as all get out.

if you can find these, they’re all worth the less than 90 minutes of your time

• Options

Great rec's. I remember Safe Men but not the other two. Will try to track them down.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was. Just missed it.

I realize just how many movies I saw in the 90s. Easily the most of any decade. So many good ones, but I can't believe (unless I just plain missed it again) that I forgot and no one has mentioned the most "rewatchable" movie ever...

Tombstone!

• Options

Wow- just crazy how stuff gets missed. Even when I went back through it a second time!

Tombstone has to be an all-time favorite for a number of folks in the forum.

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Yep, Tarantino wrote it and used the money to help fund his first movie Reservoir Dogs. Most people also don't know that Tarantino had written the script in what came to be his signature non-linear format; but Scott didn't buy into the vision yet and decided to reconstruct it and cut it linearly.

I've heard that some fans had gotten their hands on the original script and recut the movie to more fit Tarantino's original vision, but have never seen it anywhere.

BTW - another 90s film that shouldn't be forgotten is Point Break. Not a great movie by any stretch, but one of those guilty cheese-fest pleasures that is awesome in other ways.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's a few more, some may already be listed...

Goodfellas(1990), Jurassic Park(1993), Seven(1995), The Sixth Sense(1999), Home Alone(1990), Good Will Hunting(1997), Groundhog Day(1993), Mrs. Doubtfire(1993) Tommy Boy(1995), Austin Powers(1997), Happy Gilmore(1995), Billy Madison(1996). South Park:Bigger Longer Uncut(1999), Friday(1995), Half Baked(1998), Independence Day(1996), Jerry Maguire(1996), Heat(1995), Cape Fear(1991), Fear(1996), Misery(1990), Patriot Games(1992), Devil's Advocate(1997), Con-Air(1997), Face/Off(1997), The Fugitive(1993), Heat(1995), Die Hard 2(1990), Bad Boys(1995), The Rock(1996), Blade(1998), Rush Hour(1998), US Marshals(1998), Tremors(1990), It(1990)

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t forget Beavis and But- Head Do America

• Options

The great Mike Judge! Gosh, did I leave out Office Space too? Not an Oscar winner, but definitely a cult favorite. "I believe you have my stapler..."

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just in case it wasn't mentioned.

Boogie Nights. The bad acting was executed to perfection....such a great flick

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Some of these mentioned, some not. In no certain order:

The Shawshank Redemption

Ghost

A Few Good Men

There’s Something About Mary (just simply the “hair gel” scene was hilarious)

Schlinder’s List

Edward Scissorhands

Friday

Wayne’s World

Natural Born Killers

Seven

Tombstone

Sling Blade

Groundhog Day

Misery

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Silence of the Lambs was definitely one of the GOAT imo.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definitely part of the Tarantino universe...Harvey Keitel references Alabama (Patricia Arquette) in a conversation with Lawrence Tierney in Reservoir Dogs.

Speaking of True Romance characters - interesting to see Lee Donowitz who played Saul the producer pop up as one of Pacino's Nazi crew in the Amazon series Hunters

• Options
    Big_PruneBig_Prune Posts: 134 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow no The Last of the Mohicans? 1992. Great soundtrack, beautiful scenery, awesome battle scenes.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The English Patient was approximately 7 years of my life I’ll never get back.