Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart: 'There's going to be a good quarterback competition'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,587 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart: 'There's going to be a good quarterback competition'

ATHENS — Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has officially declared a quarterback competition on his roster, even as most have assumed graduate transfer Jamie Newman was recruited to win the job. Newman, to be fair, is ranked No. 3 among returning quarterbacks by Pro Football Focus based on advanced metrics from last

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You have Newman one season ...that is all she wrote. In my humblest of opinions...he should be worked with as the 2020 starter. He checks all the boxes for success. And this "season" will be like no other before it. Monken has already worked with Newman earlier. Newman continues to hone his many skills during this down time. I cannot see alternating QBs playing these tough SEC teams plus Bama. Just have this gut feel Newman is UGA's best chance for success in 2020. Beyond that...I like Carson Beck...big strong athletic kid that can run and has a rifle arm. He is my Number 2 pick behind Newman in 2020 and Number 1 in 2021...or Brock Vandagriff... a really promising ROP 5-star QB commit.

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who believes this? There’s going to be a Qb competition next year but this year we have Newman. This is typical coach speak. Put it on everything that Newman starts and plays every game if healthy

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

The QBs will all have a shot. But, counting Stetson Bennett out is, at least, premature. Brilliant and an amazing athlete. The likes of Mel Tucker, Lorenzo Carter, and Davin Bellamy all said Bennett was better than Baker Mayfield.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Indeed, the competition will be between Newman and himself. Let's look at this objectively, Newman is considered the highest rated QB after only Lawrence and Fields. Last time I checked those two no longer play football in the state of Georgia and most certainly are not wearing Red and Black.