Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Buffalo GM: Jake Fromm 'too good to pass up,' ESPN projects back-up duties

SystemSystem Posts: 7,418 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageBuffalo GM: Jake Fromm 'too good to pass up,' ESPN projects back-up duties

Georgia QB Jake Fromm was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the fifth round of the 2020 NFL Draft on Saturday, a team that doesn't seem to fit his skills

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All I'll say is "we'll see." Got an earful of Buffalo last season - not in a bad way, happy for the underdogs - from a rabid lifelong fan. And I can tell you, they love them some Josh Allen but not 110% sold on him due specifically to that thing between the ears - decision making. But for sure, a solid #2 in the NFL, definitely still good for gas money and maybe more when the time is right. Ask the 6'2" Jimmy Garoppolo. Worked out for him.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was definitely painful watching pick and pick after pick go above Fromm and he was the #1 "left on the board" for awhile. Being a 2nd QB is NOT BAD however: often the newbies start as a 3rd or 4th QB and have to fight just to stay on the team. Maybe Fromm can get some action and prove himself and eventually become the starter or get traded to somewhere he can be. Backup NFL QBs make between $2 and $7+ million a year, so it is NOT a bad gig to have. Good luck Jake!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lived near Buffalo for decades and was an on-again, off-again, fan. Too much drama in the front office concerning coaching. Lost track of them when I moved south. Jake definitely will not be a starter as long as Allen is there. But, Jake will help with the "playbook" as stated, as a backup and his intelligence will shine with this team. They need Jake in this area as the Bills GM noted. It is really frigid during winter with feet of snow, not inches. Hopefully, they have logged games with Miami......lolol.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Jake's football destiny is to be a career NFL backup he made a mistake leaving early. You don't give up your senior year to be a career backup; to make another QB better in the room. It makes me question the wisdom of whoever advised him to leave a year early. I wish Jake well.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just some context. Personally, I always thought Jake was a Belichick QB (**** smart and mentally tough). Hey, has anybody ever talked about Brady's "canon" of an arm? But that's fine. NWE took a wild swing at a PK (which was just goofy) when Jake was up there, and they'll live with it. But, for fun, here's some munch material: Jimmy Garroppolo, 2014 out of the FCS, sits behind Brady. Salary (cash) in 2017 (between SF and NWE) = $895,076. Total cash in 2018 (SF) = $41,950,000. I personally think going to Buffalo is a great path for Jake, mainly because he's STILL being questioned. People want to know how he will handle the snow since he didn't light it up in a driving rain against KY. Give me a break people. But the main thing: a challenge is like raw meat to this DAWG and I fully expect him to go into Buffalo (if he isn't there already) and open some eyes. Does it everywhere the goes, and every time he's doubted. But you know what, if I'm wrong, being drafted into the NFL (and with guaranteed money) is no small feat for ANY player. Good on ya, Jake!