Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What the national media is saying about Georgia football after 2020 NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat the national media is saying about Georgia football after 2020 NFL Draft

Perhaps the biggest draft story from this past weekend was Jake Fromm's tumble down the draft boards. This time a year ago, some saw him as a potential first-round pick. Coming out of the 2019 season, some saw him as a safe, day-two pick. But a poor combine, followed by a lack of face-to-face meetings hurt his draft

Read the full story here

Comments

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Time for both Fromm and Georgia football to tighten the chinstrap and show doubters what they'e missing. Go DGD Jake, and 2020 Dawgs!

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First off, and I'll die saying this, Fields SHOULD NOT have been allowed to play in 2019. All these crybaby transfers are the reason for the problems we have in the NCAA right now. He couldn't cut it in the SEC so he went up and whooped up on the weakling big 10, then got bested by a team from the Atlantic Can't Compete conference, who in turn got dragged by LSU. Yes burrow was a transfer, hurts was a transfer, but they did what had to do to graduate. Not transfer on here say because of an extremely **** baseball player sitting in the stands. So will all these dumb reporters stop referencing UGA/Smart losing Fields, he quit. Plain and simple. Talent is outstanding with Fields, character is another thing.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some interesting info from The Athletic post-draft analysis of every NFL team as well as individual players:

>>It’s a bit of a complex system that’s based off of compiling the opinion of more than 60 NFL draft evaluators and pegs prospects into one final big board based on the findings. So kind like a final prospect ranking chart combining the thoughts of all those “experts” melted into one.

Using that, The Athletic reflected on the 2020 NFL Draft. Calculating that into another detailed formula which involves the value of individuals picks held by NFL teams, the outlet pegs which draft picks were “steals” and which were “reaches.”

After using that blueprint for every NFL team and stacking them up against one another, the Bills’ 2020 draft haul [was determined] to have the second-best “return on investment” in the future.<<

But, for Dawg fans, the most interesting note is that the player singled out as a STEAL in the draft for the Bills was..... yep, Jake Fromm.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

kylnmeg10, Hurst was a graduate transfer, Burrow was not. Fields thought the starting QB job at UGA should be handed to him. The QB was handed to him at Ohio State, when the 2018 starter transfered out to another school.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've always thought the combine was badly overrated. So you couldn't throw in a not-real situation or maybe you didn't run your best? I also notice no one is in pads so it's not a real life, game day situation. I am amazed at how little regard often goes into game day stats. You could have the world's most accurate thrower with the strongest arm but he freezes when a linebacker is bearing down on him.

What happens in a game should far outweigh the backyard drills. Instead, it often is totally disregarded. Fromm is a perfect example of this and he paid a huge, and costly, price.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Fromm’s plunge this weekend highlights the glaring flaw — one of the few — in Kirby Smart’s four seasons at Georgia. Smart’s offense is headed into its third offensive coordinator in three years, coordinator uncertainty that’s trending toward Will Muschamp-like levels,” Thamel wrote. Really? What about three consecutive SEC East championships under Smart and three top national 1 and 2 recruiting classes in a row and how about three consecutive wins over Florida!! I'd say this is a tremendous record for a relatively new UGA head coach!!! Jake Fromm was part of this record!!! Too much up and down the NFL draft roster is placed on the combine. I admit he did not give his best performances at the combine...I saw it. Some have great days, some do not. To plunge Fromm from 2nd or even 1st round to 5th is inexcusable. The Bills think he will be a good booster and record keeper....come on. They don't even need a back-up QB. Jake will somehow shine and get traded...in my humble opinion.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lets face it. Fromm Qb'd in one of the most conservative offensive schemes in the country. Ask yourself, was that by design or circumstance? The obvious is by design. Then whose? Whose team is it? CKS. DId we have the receivers Bama or LSU had? THe obvious answer: NO!

Coley is the fall guy. It's CKS's team and Coley operated it as CKS wanted. Arguably our best receiver, certainly early on, was a 5th year senior transfer. Think about that one for a minute. No Notre Dame win without him or (even Florida). Yikes! One area CKS hasn't stacked the deck in recruiting(til 2020) has been at receiver. Even Pickens was a last second flip(thank God). Without the transfer and the last second flip what would the record have been?

Thankfully, the receiver position should be good and the new OC "should" get more out of these guys, and then the corona pandemic hits, bad time to institute a new offense. New QB also.

CKS did what he had to do. Just should of had better receivers then what we had waiting in the wings. Need plug and play going forward.

• DefinsDefins Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Last I looked, Alabama has had 3 OC in the last threes years also. I'm pretty sure that LSU changed coordinators the last couple years and did it again this year. Why single UGA put?

• WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@MikeR thanks for telling the "Truth", Fromm did fall off and in a big way last year. I wish him well and love his leadership qualities but the blind loyalty of some UGA fans is ridiculous. Fromm cost UGA a chance at playing in the CFP with his poor performance against USC. @kylnmeg10 , Fields had two INT's against Clemson, the reining National Champs at the time and only lost by 6 points. If Fields was leading UGA last year as QB, there is no doubt they would have beaten USC; why, because Fields can run and throw. Jake's inability to run hurt the offense drastically. Numerous times Jake would call an RPO and check out of a play only to hand the ball off to Swift with the defense waiting to smash him in the backfield. Film don't lie. Go back and watch the games. I love my Dawgs and believe we should win every game but am also a realist. Kirby made some coaching mistakes but is growing and will have us going in the right direction this season. The OC job and QB position will not be a weakness this year.

Go Dawgs!!!!!