Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs fans remember Munson: ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,523 admin
edited May 2020 in Article commenting

imageDawgs fans remember Munson: ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!’

Longtime radio announcer left Bulldogs Nation with so many unforgettable calls

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Miss that man dearly! Larry was Georgia football to me. I have great childhood memories of listening to Larry on the radio with my father, while out deer hunting, or simply riding around the woods. We'd hunt in the morning, come out before noon, and ride around the woods waiting for that noon kickoff. Once it was game time, we'd find a shady spot to park and eat lunch, while listening to the game. We'd have us a plastic container of fried Roger Wood sausages, fried sweet potatoes, and a cold can of Coca-cola to wash it all down with. We'd put those sausages in a hot dog bun, topped off with a little mustard. Sometimes just mustard on the sausage. Many times we would ride around the woods with a bottled coke filled with peanuts, while listening to the game. I couldn't tell you how many times we did that, and I enjoyed every minute of it. By the time the game was over, it be time to head back in the woods for the evening hunt.

I can hear Larry at the start of a game now. "All right you guys, get the picture now. Dawgs in their red tops, silver britches, and red helmets."

Also, I think Scott Howard is doing a fine job up in the booth! I really enjoy listening to him as well.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    brhowardbrhoward Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

By Far, I hear sugar falling from the sky!!!! Just after all that property along the Ga coast.

RIP Larry!!! We will always love you!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill and I love all those quotes. Amazing how I can feel the stress all over again just reading Munson’s words. By the way, before I started UGa in 1965 I would listen to Larry Munson announce Vandy basketball games. He was a great basketball announcer and Vandy fans hated losing him to UGa. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The National championship game in the Sugar Bowl against Notre Dame , Larry had me so excited I jump in the air to give a fist pump that I forgot I was inside and stuck my fist right through an overhead ceiling light shade shattering it and gashing my knuckles.

When Georgia was televised the radio would be ahead of the TV so I would just shut off the TV and listen to Larry.

2 things I'm almost certain of, I'll never see another back like Herchel and another play by play man like Larry Munson and that is no disrespect to anyone but those two set a bar that cannot be touched in my opinion!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Miss Larry's voice more and more as time goes on. He's a classic. No offense to Scott Howard, but he tries too much to be Larry IMO. Just needs to be himself.

• Options
    JESimmonsJESimmons Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I never understood folks saying Larry didn't get excited until that '73 Tennessee game, nor folks who didn't like him from the beginning.

When he retired, I wrote a post on my blog.

Thanks for the Saturday afternoons, Larry - John E. Simmons.com

http://johnesimmons.com/thanks-for-the-saturday-afternoons-larry/

We all knew it was coming. Last year he broadcast only home games – this year, he called Georgia’s first two games and sounded gassed by the 4th quarter in each. Larry Munson, the…

On it are links to Larry''s calls of Georgia's scoring plays when Georgia beat Auburn and Dooley won his first championship. Touchdowns by Brad Johnson, Hardee King, and Ronnie "Bull" Jenkins. It's also interesting to me that Larry called the entire game himself. There was no color announcer nor sideline reporter.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

To me, the best call opened the Dawgs' games, "Get the picture!" That set the butterflies to fluttering every week as we knew the tension to follow. Man, I miss that! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My family and I watched the Rose Bowl with her brother and his family (his wife is a Gamecocks' fan and despised UGA).

All through the game, I was praying, "Lord, please let us win this one."

When we got to OT, I had a feeling it was coming. When Sony rounded the corner, my inner Munson came out and I was trying to channel that gravelly voice with some of his calls that I could remember. When Sony scored, I just blurted out: "Touchdown, my God, a touchdown! Did you see what he did? We just stepped on their face with a hobnailed boot and broke their nose. We just crushed their face."

I know it was from the 2001 Vols game, but it seemed fitting and it was the only call I could remember at the time.

My BIL's wife said she'd never seen me like that. She said she hated that she missed taking a video.

Man, it was beautiful!! My wife and daughters were just hugging around.

Whoever the guy in the booth was with Larry after the hobnailed boot call going "woo!", I still imitate that guy on big plays.

Channeling my inner pessimistic Munson, I feel like it's doubtful we have a true CFB season this year, maybe one without the fans, and that makes me sad.

Missing G-Day with my 3 daughters was oh so hard.

Bill, thanks for this story! It was great, and the game selections really are leaving me scratching my head. I could listen to a compilation for hours!