Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Yes, Danny Kanell made a fair point about Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited May 2020 in Article commenting

imageYes, Danny Kanell made a fair point about Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Danny Kanell made a fair and accurate point about Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman The average SEC

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

A Bulldog tip of the cap to DawgNation for your magnanimous statements about Kanell. It shows your professionalism and willingness to consider his statements without immediately dismissing them based on the messenger. However, as bourbon-sipping Dawg fan from the 300 section, I have no reason to give Kanell a pass. He has proven time and again to be a media clown, using his hatred for the SEC (and his voguish turtleneck sweaters) as his lane to relevancy in sports media. The Dawgs will be fine in Jacksonville. Mullen will again be promoted as the genius, quarterback-whispering guru on the cusp, while Kirby and the Red Clay Hounds will do the talking with their helmets. Look for another physical match up on Halloween with the Dawgs defense leading the way to victory.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No QB is going to match Joe Burrow's production in 2020, not Trevor Lawrence, or anybody else.

I do think much of the media has over-hyped Newman and the new Ga offense. It's like how they over-hype Auburn way too often.

I'm not concerned about the offensive line, it will be good enough. The receivers will also be good enough, same for the RB's.

I think Newman will be a good player for Georgia, but installing a new offense and a new Quarterback is going to take some time.

The defense will likely have to carry the team during the first half of the season. But I do think the offense will become explosive by the later part of the season, and by then the Dawg's will be a very good team on both sides of the ball.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its ashame the Spring Game was cancelled as that might would've given us some important details and lots of plays to watch and re-watch LOL. This would've first forced Smart to show us who is the leading candidate for #1 and see how it works with our OL against our defense which seems to have unanimous #1/#2 in the country rankings. We could've gotten a good idea of how things were going to look.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

traildawgs51 nailed it. Be the best you can be. Let on-field results earn a Heisman or Joe Burrow likeness. These are products of who you can be!!! Newman will do better than you might think.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

I don't think anyone didn't already realize that Newman+Georgia is an unknown quantity. It was an obvious point to make. What irritated me (and I think many others) about Kanell's commentary on the subject is that it came in the context of his having also just anointed Florida as "the team to beat." If he has to see it to believe that Newman can carry a championship caliber team (which again is a perfectly fair point in and ofitself), then why wouldn't that same standard apply to Florida's ability to beat Georgia?

I just don't really understand the thinking that went into framing this whole column as a defense of Kanell. The fact that he happened to be correct in making a point that was never really up for dispute doesn't change the fact that he went about making it in a way that undermined his own credibility in typical fashion. He can't even be right about something without reminding us that he's the worst.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Posted yesterday by me : " We don't need a Joe Burrow. We need Newman to be Newman and that should be enough! Who has a Joe Burrow on their team? Nobody that's who. And this guy gets paid to say these things. I'm in the wrong profession. "

Danny Kanell makes a post by creating a straw-man so he can knock it down. Worst sort of Journalism or punditry. Who said Newman would be Joe Burrow or even needs to be and championships are won yearly with lessor QB's than Burrow. Saying Newman might not work for UGA with all the changes on the offensive line is also pretty safe. Like being a weather forecaster, even they get it right occasionally. Are there no weaknesses one could poke into with the Gators?

One year Florida is going to break through and beat UGA, and Kanell or any other prognosticator picking them can beat their chest when they get it right. Wooowhooo! I think we have heard that kind of talk the last three years.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not feeling this Connor Riley

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Right, or wrong, it still doesn't change the fact that kanell is a true clown..