Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Arrest warrant issued for former Georgia cornerback Deandre Baker on multiple counts of armed robber

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited May 2020 in Article commenting

imageArrest warrant issued for former Georgia cornerback Deandre Baker on multiple counts of armed robbery, aggravated assault with a firearm

The Miramar, Fla., police department issued an arrest warrant for former Georgia cornerback Deandre Baker on four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and four counts of armed robbery on Thursday evening. Baker played at Georgia from 2015-'18 and was taken in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the New

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Only one word comes to mind: "IDIOTS"!!! I really don't care or want to hear any stories about how they were cheated, threatened, or any other BS. They should not have been there to begin with.

Total embarrassment to the Dawgnation and especially to CKS after he defended Baker earlier this week. I would question everything about Baker at this point from intelligence to character. He can kiss his $10.5 million salary goodbye and prepare to earn $.14 per day making license plates while he served out his felony sentence.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 359 ✭✭✭ Junior

WTH was Deandre thinking??? Does he think he would not be recognized? Not to mention driving off in a Lambo??

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

What a waste. He made it and has now lost all. If he did this, there is no excuse. Hanging out with gamblers, big money. So sad. I hope the prison will but up a poster from his football days and make him look upon the man that has lost it all. Sorry for his family, they too have lost it all and they did nothing.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's not jump to conclusions. This makes absolutely no sense. Why would anyone, especially someone smart enough to play for UGA, throw away his pro career for this?

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Proving once again you can't teach ****. Who advises these guys? Drinking + card game+ semi-automatic weapon = not good. Simple as that. I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding...

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2020

Why would a multi million dollar-earning NFL DB want to steal a watch? The story sounds unbelievable. But if it is true, it is pure idiocy to throw away your career by pretending to be a ****. Let's see the facts.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ScooterpoopScooterpoop Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

“He took all my money and it may sound funny, but I come to get my money back.” Slim, 1972.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did he take robbing lessons from OJ Simpson?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well stated DallasDawg...as usual. When I saw the headline on AOL...I said "Uh-oh." That is UGA's DeAndre. Attitude is a general commidity among football players but not aggravated assault with a weapon. I live in FL, they do not take kindly to that. He may well serve prison time for this type of felony. First offense is one thing, but a weapon and the brazen burglary of people around you in a room...something else. I suspect he may have had more than two beers as well. So sad. The NFL will also deal with this, probably harshly. If he is found guilty, his football dreams may well be behind him.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate reading this.

I will assume we don't have all the facts, too, but nothing about what's been reported sounds good.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This could completely alter Baker's life...especially the part about committing a felony with a weapon in Florida....

Per SI today...

"Under Florida law, each faces four counts of armed robbery with a firearm, along with three counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. Both are serious charges, but armed robbery with a firearm is especially grave. It refers to a robbery where the offender carries a firearm or other deadly weapon. To prove the charge, prosecutors must show that Baker (and Dunbar) took money or property with the intent to permanently or temporarily deprive a victim of the property and, in the course of doing so, engaged in “the use of force, violence, assault or putting [the victim] in fear.” The charge becomes a felony in the first degree when the offender carries a firearm or other deadly weapon.

As mentioned above, a conviction can lead to a maximum of life in prison. Neither Baker nor Dunbar would likely get anywhere near a life sentence but would still face the prospect of spending years in prison. To that point, Florida has a mandatory minimum sentencing law, 10-20-Life, for felonies in which a firearm is used or attempted to be used. Depending on what is proven in court, the law could apply and require Baker and Dunbar (if convicted) to serve at least 10 years behind bars."

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I mentioned, MontanaDawg...FL does not take kindly to weapon-forced burglaries. You are right, they could get at least 10 years if convicted. The weapon means deadly force here and is very serious. I am so saddened that Baker would commit such a heinous crime. His life is now no longer his own. Have to wait and see what the sentence will be if they are convicted?