Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC presidents clear voluntary on-campus workouts, Georgia players return June 8

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited May 2020 in Article commenting

imageSEC presidents clear voluntary on-campus workouts, Georgia players return June 8

Georgia football and basketball players are cleared to return to campus on June 8, per the SEC presidents vote on Friday

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"While voluntary workouts will resume on campuses across the country at different times, conference commissioners reached a consensus on a six-week training camp in effect by mid-July if the season is to start on time." Key: six-week camp! We all would like a normal start time for football. The June 1-8 voluntary, non-coach sessions will make a big difference as well. At least UGA football is back!!! I am sure we will hear much more from the administrators as we should. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am deeply conflicted about this. It is seeming more and more likely that the season will proceed with or without a concrete, sensible plan for ensuring the health of the players, coaches and public at large.

Just on a basic human being level, this is extremely troubling. Meanwhile, my inner fan is doing cartwheels while wearing one of those beer straw hats.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel the same way. I still feel that NO FANS should be allowed near or in the stadium. I hate to be the one saying that since I go to every home game, but if we have some kind of outbreak or people start popping up positive after a game, then that's risking the entire season. I would rather have a full blown vaccine before stepping foot back in the stadium, not just for mine or fan sake, but for the players, coaches, and even the bone headed refs safety. So no tailgates or anything would make a lot of sense. Cause you know those people that get hammered before games will wanna high five and chest bump. Then the process starts all over again..

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So, the football athletes can voluntary workout on campus starting June 8. Coaches cannot attend nor direct these voluntary workouts. Nor can they receive reports from the activity. These are athletes and they could sustain an injury during workouts. So, if they do sustain an injury, are you telling no one can report this to a coach, especially the Head Coach?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why were my posts just removed? I'm asking legitimate questions and have legitimate concerns. As much as the thought of a football season excites me, I am conflicted just like E_Roc.

SO, just so I understand, does EVERY player get tested EVERY time they step into a workout environment - those symptomatic AND asymptomatic?

From the SEC guidelines I just read it only says ALL 'symptomatic' players, coaches, etc. will be tested. If at least 25% of all COVID cases are folks who are asymptomatic then this will never work in a real practice - much less scrimmage environment.

I'm sorry, but once any kind of organized group practice starts in July shouldn't there be testing of EVERY SINGLE player, coach, etc. each time they step on the field whether or not they are symptomatic?? And those test results will need to almost immediate. Otherwise, you are opening up a HUGE can of RISK that will carry through the season.

And if one or two players prove positive for CV, do you quarantine every player or coach who has been in contact with them for 14 days? What if players test positive during the season? I can't wait to see the details of these plans forthcoming.