Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Opinion: 5 reasons why it's OK to be optimistic about big UGA offensive improvements

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited June 2020 in Article commenting

imageOpinion: 5 reasons why it's OK to be optimistic about big UGA offensive improvements

College football fans are pretty familiar with the concept of “talking season” -- a phrase made popular by Steve Spurrier that describes the frenzied pace in which hype and hot takes spew during the preseason. Sometimes it seems the only “talk” that sells during this time of year is happy talk, and for followers of

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no doubt the offense will be better than last year. It's not so much about the OC and a scheme update, which should pay dividends on it's own. It's mostly about having more talent and depthat receiver.

I'm not buying the reported O-line drop-off by the media. They lost two good tackles to the NFL, but I thought they as a whole came off the snap too slow and got beat to the line far too often. They looked better in the Sugar Bowl. I don't think the O-line will be a concern at all.

I also have no doubt the defense will be even better. Mullen has one advantage, an easier schedule. Kirby's team is about to improve on both offense and defense. Look for Kirby to make it 11 out of 12 when his defense faces Mullen's offense.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I tend agree with you Brandon. I'm excited and cautiously optimistic. We've got a LOT of new pieces to try and fit together to make a productive and cohesive unit. If any part(s) fail to deliver their potential then we could be in for some trouble. The OL must gel, and as good as the WR crew looks on paper, other than Pickens, they are mostly inexperienced. The RB squad looks good on paper, but again, inexperienced to no experience. There is no clear cut leader in the backfield as in recent past seasons even though White has emerged as the possible candidate this year. He looked impressive during his few carries last season. Cook has the talent, but I've yet to see him really deliver. Even with a more wide open passing attack, we MUST have a consistent & at least semi-effective running game.

And while QB depth is great to have for once, I do worry about a couple of things: 1) Will there truly be a QB competition with all (5) guys? If so, if one guy doesn't stand out among the rest, does Smart play (2) QBs this season? I can definitely see that happening unless the main thing you want is experience at QB in which case you have to pick Newman from Day 1 (unless Daniels gets his eligibility to play this year). 2) If we put all our eggs in the Newman basket (a guy who will only be around one season), do we stand to lose out on one or possibly two QBs to the transfer portal? We lost Fields to the transfer portal, and I think he was a better QB overall for UGA's program and future than Fromm. I regretted THAT decision from Day 1.

Right now, I just hope we can get to the point in July and August of having real practices and scrimmages. Teams keep having more and more players test positive for CV. We need to be testing ALL players on a regular basis as the season goes on, and if that is not Smart's plan then I think that is a mistake. Assuming the football season is able to go forward in September, if we or any team loses key player(s) to CV then it could be devastating to the success of the season. The risk is certainly there, and the risk will be pretty high no matter what you do.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the focus needs to be on the WRs. There's a lot of blame on Fromm last night and most of it was correct, BUT there were a number of big plays that should've happened and potentially more opportunities if we had more quality WR depth. I really don't understand what the cause was for a lot of highly ranked WRs to be non-existent in the program ,but I'm hoping that changes.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

the biggest things will be: 1. How will the new starters on the O-line mesh together since we lost 3 starters to the NFL. 2. Will the WRs step up this season instead of being a constant hinderance to Fromm they were last season. 3. Who will replace Hot Rod as the automatic kicker?

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am optimistic about our team as well, but maybe for a reason not directly stated in the story. Yes, we have talent, even if some of that talent is very raw. And we have several players that have good levels of experience, especially on defense. But what encourages me most is the apparent character of the individuals who make up the team. We have seen examples of many players working hard essentially on their own. With the Covid crisis causing many to be at home, their was greater opportunity to "get into trouble". Academics also seemed to be on track. And, with the turmoil of the recent protests, the response of our players seems to have been them showing an ability to show support for the protests about an event that has almost all of us upset and horrified at what happened, while at the same time not giving in to the outrage and anger of the situation. In other words, these young men are men of high character. And that high character will show itself in how hard they work to get ready to compete, and how much they will demand of themselves when they are competing. I am proud to be a UGA graduate. I am a football fan, especially of UGA football. So, while I have a kinship with all UGA students, because they are a very visible ( to the rest of the world ) example of UGA students, I love having such high character young men represent UGA. I will be proud no matter the won/loss record, but I also am sure that the character shown by these young men will lead them to great successes on and off the field.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These are all great points and I’m feeling confident about every position except Hotrod’s replacement.....hopefully he will be as good as advertised. I’m excited about the season and pray we get to attend games. It still seems a little “iffy” as to how the games will be played. A real possibility is we could play Bama 3 times which would be interesting. Here’s my prediction: We lose Bama in Tuscaloosa, but beat Bama in the SEC CG.......kinda like the Auburn series several years ago. That creates a situation where Bama and UGa are both 12-1. Clemson and Ohio State will be undefeated and ranked 1 & 2 while UGa will be #3 and Bama #4. UGa and Bama both win their playoff games setting-up the 3rd and final match-up between our beloved Dawgs and the nation’s least popular team. And the winner of that game will be........

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I remember all the barbs about us being the "talking season champions" from years past, especially from Spurrier. It seems that gator fans have supplanted us in that category. How's that for "what goes around comes around"?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SmartsTheMan: "I'm not buying the reported O-line drop-off by the media. They lost two good tackles to the NFL, but I thought they as a whole came off the snap too slow and got beat to the line far too often. They looked better in the Sugar Bowl. I don't think the O-line will be a concern at all." Matt Luke was the reason the offensive line looked sharper in the Sugar Bowl. UGA did not get beat off the line...as much. I am hopeful this new energy off the line will carry over into 2020. I am concerned about the virus, but trust the leaders and medical experts to control that end. Smart has already implemented controls of players in small groups with consistent testing. When Sept. 7 is here, UGA will be ready.....count on it!!!!